1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Corvette - really light

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, May 8, 2006.

1. My son played a Corvette this weekend at a local GC. It had two passive pickups but I don't remember which "model" it was. He really loved it. It listed for $1499 and they wanted $999.

Should I buy it for him?

2. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Yes, but not for $999. They're normally sold for $899, and I'm sure you can talk them down from there. Yes, it's a very nice bass, but PLEASE don't pay $999 for it. Good luck!:bassist:

3. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    +1. but beware of the price increase on 2006 model warwicks. i ended up having to pay $200 more dollars for my thumb because in was a an 06, and the earlier, cheaper price they qouted me was for 05. warwicks are a great investment.

4. What model is it? Maybe I should buy one online.

Also, they had a Warwick Jazz bass that was beautiful. It had active pickups and it seemed a little bit heavier. What do you guys think of the Jazz version compared to the one that normally sells for $899. By the way, I'm talking about 5 string versions here.

Thanks!

5. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    was it the corvette jazzman maybe? great bass anyhow. the jazzman is a more versatile bass imo, but it all depends on what your son likes more. i bought an 06 thumb bolt on 4 string over an 03 neck through thumb 5 string(the nt was cheaper too!!!) just based on feel and my desired tone. check out www.warwick.de or www.warwickbass.com for good info on the basses in question. oh, and you'll probobly get a better deal at a store than online, but check out www.basscentral.com or www.bassexchange.com for reasonable deals. also(im rambling) check out the corvette $$, it's a monster.

6. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Did it look something like this ?
    Ash models (opposed to Bubinga) are quite light

[​IMG]

7. yes, it looked just like that, I think its the Corvette Standard 5

Does anybody know how the weight of the Double $$ compares to the Corvette Standard 5?

8. looks nice,mine is the one with the bubinga body weights about a ton.LOL , i still love it.
    does the new models come with out the active/pasive circuit?

9. tristan_

tristan_

Apr 11, 2005
    i've got a $$ four string ash body and its pretty heavey but i think it would be lighter the the corvette 5. sound wise tho i would definatly go with the $$. i tried them both out whne i bought mine and the corvette standard diodnt even compare with my double buck!

10. SamJ

SamJ Founder - Fender MIA Club

Apr 22, 2006
    PDX / SFO / HNL
    I just sold my Double $$, and it wasn't all that light, same as the corvette standard.. only better pups.. I got $1000 even for it after owning it only 1 month... new price was $1250.. the corvette standard should sell for $899 or so.. A great value for a German made instrument.

11. My bass teachers $$ 4 is quite the opposite. His weighs 8-8.5 pounds, seriously. I had prided myself on my cirrus being light, but after picking up his, I was amazed. I had always hated warwicks because of the weight, but I really dig the ash models now.

12. if you can get it i have one and i love it!! i have the bubingah one but i doubt there is a world of difference

13. tristan_

tristan_

Apr 11, 2005

I see. How'd you like the sound by the way? depdending on different build its could probably seem lighter to others. i pretty young and get a bit of shoulder pain when standing for over an hour. i was also unknowingly comparing it to the otnly other bass i own which is a epiphone Acuu bass jr ( i think) which is a pbass sett up

14. I loved the sound. It sounded as full and growly as any other Warwick I had ever played, but no where near as heavy. I really dug the slap tone I got after fiddling with the settings for a few minutes.