Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Corvette vrs Bongo vrs Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fragcon, Jun 25, 2004.

1. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Ive got like $1300 to spend on a 5 string bass. I want something with a variety of sounds but with a good low end (tight B? and also just a good low frequency sound) What are your opinions?

2. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think depending on your tastes, you'll enjoy any one of them. Me personally, Corvette.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For $1300 you could get a Proline Corvette, no? Id say go with that. I hear that Stingrays arent the most versatile things so maybe thats not good if you want a variety of sounds. Bongos seem pretty versatitle though.

4. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    whats the main differance in sound between a maple body on the proline and the bubinga on the normal corvette?

5. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Get a Corvette, IMHO good overall bass, won't regret that :D

6. Vette all the way, especially over the stingray. The ray just feels clunky and big and ugly to me.

7. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    I thought it was just a maple top on the proline. If that is true, then not much. Maple is known to be brighter, if it is a solid maple body.

Vette, for me, even though Bongos are cool.

8. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    The proline is 2 piece flamed maple. The electronics are the same as the corvette and the pickups are the same. It has gold hardware. I think they just make it because it looks cool and they want you to pay more money for the looks. I don't get how maple could be better than bubinga... explain if you know

9. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    mine is maple cirrus 5 ,this walnut is great looking and for the
    price for a neckthru 18volt you cant go wrong! you should play one of these before you make your final choice! :bassist:

10. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    im not so sure I trust peavey. I have one of their amps and i don't like it.

11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Ray, if you are a little sensitive. (great bass)

Bongo if you can take the abuse. (supposedly gets the stingray tone and SOO much more, but looks might be an issue...)

Corvette if you dont like the stingray sound.

12. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I love the look of the bongo, I played a 4 string and loved the tone. The only thing i disliked was the dual humbucker position on the neck pickup. Its right where I slap and pop. Thus the pickup has to be really low and even then it still causes problems.

13. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I dont like Peavey amps either, but you gotta try the Cirrus!!
    I picked one up after reading every thread about them I could find, and it was the best bargain I've gotten yet. They go pretty cheap (a lot less than $1300) in the Bay, and have great tone, electronics, looks, feel... Search this forum for Cirrus and read up. They are a great bass.

14. jja412

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    They also have a model with a jazz style pu in the neck...

15. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Actually, the Peavey Cirrus has gotten great reviews since it came out. I guess it's pretty nice. Never played it though. I just wouldn't buy one because of the resale. That is, of course, unless you are planning on keeping it for along time. If you hang out on this website enough, you'll want a new one every other week. Back to your original, Corvette dude. Those things are way cool for the price.

16. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    ive got a peavey half stack 410 and its ok! but man im telling
    you the Cirrus bass is not your ordanary peavey! you will have to pick one up and play it for your self! im sure not saying its the best! its not, but for 1300.00 for a new one for what you get you will be a happy camper!!! :bassist: :hyper: :rolleyes:

17. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    yeah i dunno if peavey is for me. I would like a bass that is easier to sell, not that I think id be selling it that soon. But I might find out that I want a 6 or go back to a 4.

18. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i understand really the best bass for you is the one you set
    your eyes on and plays the way you want it to musicman is good stuff to Good luck on your venture!!! :hyper:

19. I got my Cirrus 6 for $1299 new at Sam Ash. The best money I've ever spent. Best bass I've ever played. Resale? I'm going to the grave with this one!!! I've never been very impressed with Peavey. The amps I've tried were blah. I never really thought about buying a bass from them till I tried mine. It was almost a religious experience. Can ya tell I like my bass?
    but hey to each his own. Vettes are very nice I play my guitar players 4 banger on occasion and like it alot. In your price range you have alot of great choices, try as many as you can. Have fun :bassist: