Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cosmetic cure side neck pocket gap

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mheintz, Dec 3, 2004.

1. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    I have swamp ash body, myrtle top, bolt-on with a slightly larger than business-card-size ,side neck pocket gap on the bass side. There is also a small gap on a decorative curved extension of the neck into the body. The extension gap is very small. Just the sort of small error that creeps into mass production. The neck is stable and straight, and as far as I'm concerned, the gaps are purely a cosmetic issue. I'm not an expert, but I don't think much vibration is lost. However, I'm obsessed and I'd like an elegant, aesthetically appealing solution to close the gaps. I can live with the small gap on the extension and it is probably harder to fix elegantly. The side pocket gap is more troubling. I can use a small shim, but I would like the shim to blend with the body. Suggestions? Techniques? Other solutions? Hambone's resin technique?

2. Damn! You actually went into the archives and found that post?? A free TB beer down in the Lounge for you!

Do you want it to be a permanent attachment or something that falls out with the removal of the neck? The glass bedding technique is a good cure for loose neck pockets that contribute to loose neck attachments but it doesn't sound like you've got that problem. I would just have someone skilled glue some myrtle, ash, or other matching color veneer alongside the pocket. Then trim, sand, and maybe pop a little quick clear coat on it to keep it nice and button it back up. Of course, you could use a contrasting color like rosewood for a nice dark line - it's just a matter of taste. But keep in mind that sometimes, the best way to hide a flaw is to accentuate it and make it a "feature". :)

3. mheintz

mheintz

Nov 18, 2004
    Thanks, Hambone! I like the idea of the veneer. I'll let you know how it works out.