Cosmetically changing a modulus, need suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Here's what I got, as you can see the humbucker position has been widened, the previous owner wanted to fit if for a J pup in the bridge position, but stopped after he got this far. What I want to do is design a small pickguard to cover the hole for now, and need ideas, suggestions, and comments on the best looking way to do this.

I'd also like suggestions on the neck pup dilemma. I have an aguilar OBP-1 to go in it, and it is currently wired for a single bucker, 2 band preamp a-la musicman. If I decide to add the J, how would I go about wiring this? I'd oviously like to have a switching option, and would it affect the tone of the humbucker wired this way, vs. the bucker only? I wouldn't think so if it were switched to that pup only, but thought I'd ask to be sure.

My options on the pickups are: Put a dummy J in there to fill the hole and use as a thumbrest, put it in, and buy the nescessary parts for it all to be functional, and switchable, and lastly just get a new pickguard to cover that route as well.

As you can see, I also have an abundance of knob holes drilled, most of which I won't need. Any suggestions on plugging those so they will look decent?

Here is a pic of it currently

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, since he also seems to have drilled more holes for control knobs it looks like he was planning on having either two volume knobs or blend pot & volume.

The obp-1 takes a single input, this doesn't mean it's only got sound from one pickup. With a vol/vol or blend/vol you feed the output from the last vol pot into the obp-1 input.

Personally, since he's already gone to the trouble to route the holes I would put the J pup in there while you're getting the other work done anyway.

If you want more details on the wiring etc, we can discuss in pickups.