1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cosmicevan scores another Mørch!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jul 18, 2007.

1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
  2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    nice looking bass, I like it :)

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Very nice!

Marshall

4. Fantastic! Take some pictures of the two together once you get it. Morch has become one of my favorite luthiers, and I especially love your 6-string. Pure class :smug:

5. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    this from the man who single handedly had me convinced that there is none better than a stambaugh! if i hadn't seen this morch, i would've been calling chris this week to place an order for a 36" scale fretless single cut 6 string with piezo, dual nordy's (possible midi in piezo) with coil tap, midi switch, and depending on the pre other controls - i was leaning towards either the audere (which would be a blind leap of faith since i've never consciously heard one) or glockenglang (the glock/nordy combo in the groove shoppe basses are INSANE - i've never played a bass with such a warm personality, it just fills the sonic spectrum so well).

but honestly, how could i turn that down at that price? 36" scale fretless. not a 6, but a 5 i can live with a 5, especially if a morch.

6. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    I feel like the luckiest guy on the planet. Not one Mørch, but 2 (36" scales)!!! They are perfect counterparts for each other. The 6 is a curl body style with maple/alder body/top and a maple/alder neck and has Mørch's Tube Stacker pickups (single coil/humbucker toggle) with the Morch Pre, while the fretless 5 has a singlecut shape with bubinga/mahogany body/top and a bubinga/wenge neck and has Mørch's Full Finger humbuckers with the Mørch Pre.

here they are...

Morchs.
    Morchs-Back.

and some of just the new guy...

Morch_SingleCut5-Fretless. Morch_SingleCut5-Fretless-Back.

Morch_SingleCut5-Fretless-Body.
    Morch_SingleCut5-Fretless-BodyBack. Morch_SingleCut5-Fretless-BodyBack2.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Outside of the mahogany body, the woods make it look like a morchwick.

8. A very nice pair of Mørch basses indeed. Congratulations. Johnny was out there before almost any of these relative neophyte makers. I'm glad to see some posts of his work on this forum. He was doing the scroll cutaway thing before Thompson. He's the one that started that.

9. Nice basses, but 36", can you say carpel tunnel?

lowsound

10. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    my first high-end bass was a warwick corvette fna (which i sold a few years ago to fund my first Mørch) and i have to say, this new one shares certain tonal properties with.

it has a woody kind of a growl to it which resembles the Warwicks i've played, but the Mørch pickups and electronics bring out different fundamentals with the sound (and the pre-amp is WAY different than the MEC). i guess the mahogany body probably also adds to the warmth and smoothness to the sound that this bass has that i've never heard in a Warwick? the sustain is absolutely phenomenal which brings out new things in my playing - :hyper:. the neck feels just like my other one (only narrower by one string) so it isn't as baseball bat-ish as a Warwick to me. everything just feels right on it. from the look of the bubinga top with the black hardware to the sound...it's a really woody sounding fretless with virtually no playing time on it. there are about a handful of dings/scratches/nicks, mostly on the back. the worst ding is on the cut which kills me, but beyond that...PERFECT condition and amazing sound.

i couldn't be happier and the fact that it was a wedding gift from my amazing fiancee makes it a bass that i will keep forever. i really got lucky on this one. moral of the story, you can NEVER go wrong with a Mørch.

If you aren't familiar with his work, check out http://www.morch-guitars.dk/ and read his story, check the gallery, hear the sound samples.

11. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Ahh.. Beautiful family Evan!.. I can't wait till' Johnny gets back from Holidays!.. When he does Im gonna order a new fretless!

12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Nice score Evan! Enjoy it.

JC