1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cost effective multi purpose rig query: which cab is for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michaelnotreble, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. michaelnotreble

michaelnotreble

Jan 20, 2016
    Alright,

So I've done a good bit of research here looking for answers. First, my funds are limited so I'm attempting to get the most out of what I buy. I gig with an electric upright and bass. I know what head I'm getting already; GK MB500, the non tube pre version. I'd rather have a tube head for electric bass gigs (sg bass plus tube head for some smooth doomy goodness :D ) but the MB will suffice till I can afford a Fender Bassman or some other, giving pretty dang good tone for both (yet not 10/10 for both, a compromise I gotta make for my poor wallet).

I also know the configuration of the cabs I want. Small 8 ohm 210, for gigging the upright. 4 ohm 410 for metal gigs, and throw the 210 on top of that for bigger venues. (Beyond that, screw it, pa me or get out of my face haha) (Also I picked that ohm configuration for what some of you will know as obvious reasons. Equal volume distribution.)

So finally here's the actual question. I'm getting the same series 210 and 410. What's going to be transparent enough for my ss EUB head, and still translate that smooth tubey coloration (from the tube head) well (Or at least not let my electric sound too limp)? A compromise is something I'm prepared for as well.

Also, one problem I've noticed is that not all cab series have a 4ohm 410 option, and some do but don't have a matching 210 to go with it.

It would be super great if it looked cool too. Some that I've looked at were the chocolate thunder aguilar DB series, the Ashdown ABM and VS series (212 and 412 would work for me too), And really promising, but no 210, the GK Neo series (Even though they look absolutely boring) and the Fender bass man oxblood cabs just look mouthwatering. Ampeg Pro neo also crossed my mind.

Any ideas or thoughts about any of what what I'm planning on are welcome.

Thanks!
    -Michael

2. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    To run a 8 ohm cab and a 4 ohm cab, you'll need a head that can do 2.6 ohms.

3. michaelnotreble

michaelnotreble

Jan 20, 2016
    I thought it was 5.3... hmh

Regardless, I could still get a 16 and an 8 (wire an 8 ohm 210 in series and pair it with an 8 ohm 410) right?

Or get a head like the mb500 that does 2 ohm. I know that Fender BM goes to 2, though they are nothing alike.

4. NEVER talk about rewiring cabs here. People will loose their poop everywhere! Well, that was what happened to me. :woot:

wmhill and michaelnotreble like this.
  5. michaelnotreble

michaelnotreble

Jan 20, 2016
    Okay, wont do that without further advisement. I couldn't do it myself anywho, I'd ask my tech guy about it and he'd shoot me before letting me ruin my gear haha

Any opinions about what I'm trying to do here are welcome btw, if I should go a totally different route I'd consider it. Just trying to multipurpose and save some dough if at all possible.

6. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I think the Mesa Subway is 2 ohm stable.

7. michaelnotreble

michaelnotreble

Jan 20, 2016
    Looks promising, it's got a 2ohm|4/8ohm switch.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Carvin BR series are well made, come in the exact configurations you are looking for, AND you can get them in quite a few colors to add to the cool factor. They aren't too expensive either.

Now, as for heads on a budget do yourself a favor and check out old Fender PA100 or PA135 heads. They can be had dirt cheap and actually have 4 separate channels that would make switching back and forth from URB to bass guitar a breeze. It's not for everyone but well worth a look for inexpensive tube heads. And by the way, a P bass sounds crazy good through it and it takes pedals like a dream. And you can daisy chain channels to add gain. I even changed out the input resistor on a couple channels to add even more gain for different personalities for each channel. Might not be your thing but that's OK too.

Oh, and Welcome to TalkBass!

michaelnotreble likes this.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You could run the two cabs in series (with the proper junction box or cable) to get a 12 ohm load but the 8-ohm box would see more juice.

10. Be really careful with the cool factor... bass players aren't supposed to be cool-looking.

11. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Check out the Arnopol Soundworks cabs - modular and awesome.

AstroSonic, Ewo and michaelnotreble like this.
  12. michaelnotreble

michaelnotreble

Jan 20, 2016
    Interesting, never seen one of these. I don't need to switch back and forth in the middle of a gig, but it looks like an inexpensive tube option which is really cool. I gotta say I'm head over heels for the distortion channel of that Bassman 100T. It hasn't traditionally my thing, distortion, but this thing produces the most satisfying boomy clouds of sound I've heard in awhile. imo and all of course. Does that daisy chaining technique produce distortion (overdriving the tubes? Sorry, bit new on the topic haha, never used a multi channel before) What's your impression/preferred sound? Distortion isn't my main concern or anything btw, just a nice bonus.

And thanks! I spend hours on this site on a regular basis. I work at a music store and if I get hit with an obscure question (or one I should know, but don't hah) 9/10 I can put in some research here and figure it out. Invaluable resource.

13. kat888

kat888 Guest

Oct 13, 2015
    Get 2 x 212 8ohm cabs...

14. You only need enough cab to match unamped drums. Use the PA for big venues and outdoors. The vertical 210 pair of Carvins or Avatars with mb500 are popular budget renditions. See the ''vertical believer'' thread.

Vertical stack beats out 4x10 square format for monitoring and room dispersion when you are carrying the room from the stage.

rodl2005 likes this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Well, the were originally designed for vocal mics, which are hotter than bass pickups in most cases. So it worked before I nodded it, but it really came to life after I swapped out some input resistors. There are several pages on line your tech can find for this simple mod. I'm not a big distortion guy but my guitarist buddy really liked the over drive he was ale to get from it just messing around at my house once. And he's more of a blues guy so he was looking for warmth more than scream if that makes sense.

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    To the OP: don't overthink this project. Two matching 2 X 10's or 2 X 12's (all 8 ohm) will take you far. Don't get bent over thinking you need cabs with switchable impedance...you don't.

Riis

samson3382, JLY, obimark and 5 others like this.
  17. Gk makes a 210 specifically for that head, get two of them

AstroSonic likes this.
  18. You'd be surprised at how loud a good 410 can get. I gigged with an ampeg 810 for over a decade. Our guitarist and I eventually got tired of lugging the big gear. We now roll with a 410 bass cab and a 5150 212 combo. I upgraded the speakers in my ampeg 410 for about $300 and get told to lower my stage volume at every gig. There's no point in moving bigger or more cabs if all you're going to do is turn the volume down. If you're bandmates want to crank amps for tonal purposes they need to sell the 100w coleseum tube amps and get some 30-60w tube amps. Then they'll get the saturation they want at a more reasonable volume

samson3382 likes this.
  19. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Yeah, it'll handle the cabs you described. There's a very informative thread on the Subway D-800 head, and the engineer who designed the amp (agedhorse) has answered a lot of questions there.

kosmicwizard likes this.
  20. the new genzler amp has a 2.6ohm mode or whatever that magic number is which you get when you add 1/8+1/4 :D