Cost for assembling a bass? Warmoth...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, Aug 8, 2002.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    About how much would it cost to have a somewhat skilled luthier to fasten the neck to the body, solder the electronics, install a nut and do a final setup. Those are the thing I dont dare to do myself.
    This is for a Warmoth P-bass project.
  2. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    soldering the electronics shouldn't be too hard if it is passive.
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I may be able to get a friend to do the soldering. How about the other stuff?
  4. Assuming some things here:

1. ALL of the parts are present (they should be)
    2. ALL of the parts fit properly (they should)
    3. There isn't anything more to do like finishes or drilling holes
    3. Nothing breaks, or strips during assembly

It should take a couple of hours tops for assembly and another hour for setup. I would think that it would come to $100 or less for such a task.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks, thats great news.
  6. Take a walk to Tip Top and ask them if they can do it for you. They do have some Warmoth basses assembled in the shop for sale, so they might put som parts you've bought together as well.
    If I were you, I would also check out Gnu musikverkstad in Göteborg. They've got lots of, what seems like, handy tips for the budding guitar builder on their site, and could probably help you with the assembly too.
    Good luck, and tell me how it all turns out. I'm thinking of getting myself a parts bass in the future sometime, and would like to learn from your experience, when it comes to costs, results, et c.
  7. The assembly/ setup of the parts shouldn't cost all that much. It is the parts themselves that bring the price up.

I just did a price check for all the parts I need for the bass I'm building. For the neck, hardware, and electronics, it's gonna run me about $300. And I'll still need to purchase pickups.

Assembling the pieces really isn't all that difficult to do, as long as you have the tools to do it. And if you know how to properly setup a bass, you could probably have the bass assembled, setup and sounding great with only a couple days work at the most.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    woah, really?

dag, i think i got snookered on my last USA Custom parts bass. :mad:
  9. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So what did you pay?
  10. I had very good guitar tech put my Warmoth together - everything including the electronics. It cost me $120. Well worth it, IMHO.