Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cost of basses in Canada?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bradweiser, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Hi,

I'm from Australia and as I'm sure many of you know, the prices of both guitars and basses can be a little high - or at least compared to America.

Anyhoo, I've got a friend going to Canada in a couple of months and I was wondering if it might be worth getting him to buy me a bass while he was there.
    The problem is, there don't seem to be any (good) Canadian online stores that can give me a decent idea of whether it would be worth getting my friend to do this.

So, are the Canadian prices similar to those in America, or is there a large difference?

Thanks.

2. Get yourself a friend in America, and then be prepared to pay about $US 250 to have it sent FedEx to Aus...you'll get it in about 7-10 days...

By the way, here's my formula for converting basses from American prices (in US dollars) to Aussie prices (in Aussie dollars).

X = price in US
    Y = price in Aus

Y = 1.1*((exchange rate * X) + 250))

This usually works out pretty close...

3. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Bass prices here suck.....primarily because of the exchange rate and customs duties on goods coming from the U.S.
    Get your friend to make a side trip in to States and pick one up there. You will save some bucks. Regarding online stores, we have none that are decent.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Buy a Canadian bass. It will save you the extra fees.

The two that come to mind right off are F bass and Dingwall.

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have your friend stop thru the States as well...the Detroit/Windsor connection is just across the river. Seattle/ Vancouver or Buffalo/Ontario distances are short as well.

6. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I'm sure size/weight matters, but I sent a pickup to someone in AU and another pickup to Washington state (both were sold on eBay). Guess which one was cheaper?? Australia!!! Not sure that it would be the same for a bass, but you never know; I was surprised...

7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    for currency converting go here

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Canadian prices for the most part are a ripoff, and it's very hard to find a good deal here. Retailers here will take the U.S. list price and use that as the street price in Canadian dollars. I don't think you want to spend those extra dollars for no reason.

9. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    give him a rectanglar hard shell bass case full of socks for the trip there . and on the way back....

in the meantime shop here:http://www.clubbass.ca

10. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Toronto
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    your going to be paying for your bass with your currency anyways after all is said and done(assuming you make all your income in Australian dollars)...you wont save really anything buying from here- its the same almost as buying in your country because the retailers convert from the US dollar to the Canadian dollar for their prices...plus duties...and shipping. Your dollar is similiar in value to ours against the US dollar too..so...I'm not sure how there would be any advantage. Maybe make the best deal in the US ...or go for a Canadian bass like mentioned above (I'm biased as I play FBasses). Unless there's some creative paperwork you'll also have to pay duties into your country anyways .......so.......

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    From what I have read, Aussie prices are much more than conversion plus shipping. You have to add a greed coefficient.

My advice is to buy a used bolt on neck bass. You can pack it in a big suitcase, or at the very least carry the neck on board the flight home.

I have seen some good deals in Canada for basses. You just have to keep looking. Just before Christmas, Songbird Music in Ottawa had a Peavey TL-5 for CAD450. That's a very good price for that bass. Mind you it is a neck thru bass, and I didn't see the condition. Songbird had a Godin Acoustibass on their site a few weeks back.

12. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    I second what bmc wrote. There are deals here, you've just got to look for them. Check out the big boys like Long & McQuaid and Steves Music as well as places like Song Bird that have a nice selection of previously owned gear.Don't be a push over you've got to be able to haggle. Oh....if your interested in a Godin A4 send me a pm before you get here because I might be willing to let go of mine. ;)
    Happy Times,
    Brent

13. Thanks alot guys.

I'll have to talk to my friend, but from memory I think I remember something about him spending a day or two in Seattle.
    Hopefully it's towards the end of his trip though.

14. I'd suggest staying away from the stores that only sell new gear because you will pay more than in the US because of the duties charged to bring them into the country.

BUT, make sure you have him go through the stores that carry vintage or used gear because there are deals to be had if he's prepared to look - and he knows what he's looking for.

If you want to get an idea of "decent" prices on used basses I'd suggest checking out the website of Capsule Music here in Toronto. Its at http://www.capsulemusic.com/capsule.html

Let me know if your friend is going to be in Toronto and I can supply a list of stores for him to check out.

15. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

The thing that sort of rips me about Canadian prices is that very few items have come down in price proportionately to the Canadian dollar increase in value which has been more than 25% vs. the US buck in the last 2 yrs. As our Canuck buck goes up in value, imported items should be coming down in price to the same extent.

I seem to notice it more with Fenders but MIA basses that were $1,500 three years ago are still $1,500 today and really should be around $1,200.

Our dollar is the strongest it's been in decades and prices are still as high as they were when our dollar was its record low, 2-3 years ago. Increased margins and distribution fees have eaten up the difference.

On the plus side, even with PST / GST on top of shipping costs, buying online out of the US is once again worthy of consideration.

Maybe some retailers are passing along the savings, but I think most are pocketing the difference.

One of the few basses that are still a good deal here are Godin. They seem to have a much wider presence in Canada and prices are better here than in the US for sure.

16. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

I agree with you. There has been hardly any change in retail prices of new basses.

Ebay, or even custom ordering from somebody in the states is now an excellent deal. Not sure how that helps out a guy outside of Canada....

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Good point, I'm not sure how our currency stacks up in value against the Australian dollar. If the the Aussie buck has decreased in value in comparison to the currently strong Canadian dollar, then our friend will find it tougher to find deals here.

In Canada, the best deals can be found on cars (terrific prices here compared to the rest of the world), and electronics.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    ...and tuques.

19. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Har har. ;) Don't forget backbacon, and Molson Canadian. (I know you're waiting for an, "eh", but I refuse to say it!)

20. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    Molson canadian is garbage.

While your friend is here, get him to pick you up a variety of different Sleemans, fantastic brews.