1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cost of RICs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peter G, Feb 21, 2008.

1. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    Why is the Rickenbacker 4003 is going up in price faster than other U.S. made basses?

last quote from MF was close to $2000. up about $300. from last fall.

yet the MIA jazz is up only about $100. from when I bought mine 3 years ago.

2. Signs of a weak economy and companies trying to cover costs and maximize profit.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I think Ric prices were held down for a very long time and this is just a market adjustment.

4. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    It also has to do with the extremely limited supply that Ric is producing.

I was lucky to randomly find mine last Fall at a shop. Everywhere else said there was about a years wait to get one...

5. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Buy used, I bought ours for $750 a few years ago and it's mint, still has the sticker on it!

There are a lot of used rics out there- Probably $1500 is more in line today?

billyric.

See, I keep beating the dead hoese - Back then Ric's went used around $800-$900. That was only 3 or 4 years ago. They go up in value when you buy used. Rics will always hold their value. They are great high quality basses. Not for everyone, but great to those who play them.

4001 refin for- $1800!
    http://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.asp?ID=3667
    $1700 for a used 4003 here
    http://www.goodguysguitars.com/inventory/basses.htm

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    That's for sure. You won't lose money on them, but if you want one, you'll pay.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Honestly, how long do you have to play one to pay it off?? Mine has paid for itself many times over. If you buy any high quality USA made bass you're going to pay for it. So you spend $2K. Gig with it for 4 or 5 months, and it's paid you back.

I've made lots more money off of my Ric than I spent on it, and I can still sell it for more than I paid in the first place. I don't see the problem.

8. More entertaining is the fact that they are up $900 from mid 2005.

Mike

9. peter G

peter G

Sep 28, 2004
    ohio's northcoast
    I went back and checked a price quote I got from MF in 05/06 and the same bass was $1,199. by fall of that year it went up to $1,299.

10. brianeharmonjr

brianeharmonjr

Aug 18, 2007
    Indiana
    In January Ric upped list prices and cut some models out of their lineup. They did this because of their production backlog. Instead of sacrificing quality by hiring a bunch of new people with little Ric production experience, or shipping production out of the US, they decided to do this so that in the future you won't have to wait 2 years to get an instrument when you order one and they can keep the same level of quality. It makes perfect sense to me. Even at $2K a Ric 4003 is a good deal. They certainly aren't for everybody, but for my money I'd certainly rather have a 4003 than an American Deluxe Jazz Bass or a Stingray or something else in that range. Of course, if you're patient and diligent enough, you can still find a steal on a great Ric bass. I snagged a '95 4003 in white with black trim in great shape with the original case for $750 last year, so the deals are still out there. Also, the list price only applies to instruments ordered from January 1 on, so any dealer receiving Rics right now is still paying what they did last year. You can still find honest dealers that are selling them at the "old" prices. I suggest trying www.pickofthericks.com because they are great to deal with and usually have at least 1 or 2 around, and sometimes used ones, and they know their stuff. You can also go to Rickenbacker's website and see what dealers have recently been shipped any certain model. Ordering from Musician's Friend may look like a good deal on the surface (in some cases), but really you're just being drop-shipped a guitar. It hasn't been checked out or set up, and if you have a problem with something, good luck with service because you're going to need it. It's almost always better to go with an independent dealer.

11. When the increase first happened, I searched Rickenbacker prices on this forum. A few people from around June or 2005 or so reported prices at $999-1100.

Mike

12. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Profiteering pure and simple. The people defending the almost 100 percent increase in street price over the last few years, and probably the same people that consider oil companies the evil empire.

13. I'll begin and end with the statement that Ric is entitled to charge whatever they want for their products and they are worth whatever the market will bear. That stated....
    Seriously. Are you really convinced that they raised prices in the interest of product quality and with the consumer in mind? If that's really the case, then I'm sure the extra profit that will be rolling into their hands will be used to expand the facility and on new employee training so that a Ric will never be handled by a less-than-fully-trained employee and a future backlog won't be an issue. No?

Well. Ric may charge what they want. Instrument worth is whatever the market will bear.

Mike