Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cost of running an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mike Money, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    How much money, on average, do you think it costs to run your amp for an hour or so?

10 cents?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

depends on the power wattage of the amp, and the $/KWh rate in your region.
    for my amp, its:
    0.05KWh(50W in one hour) for one hour of playing multiplied by 0.06$/KWh=0.003$

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    When I was a teenager, my mom would get on my case about how much power I was burning playing my stereo (a whopping 10 watter as I recall) all day long.

I pointed out to her it was almost ZERO compared to the draw of all the light bulbs in the house, the refrigerator, the electric stove, TV sets, air conditioners, washer and dryer, etc.

A typical solid state amp draws about 50% more wattage than it puts out (say 150 watts MAX for a 100 watt amp) a tube amp about 3-4 times (maybe 400 watts MAX for a 100 watt amp), the extra wattage is converted into heat. Since most of the time the amp puts out well under it's maximum wattage, the draw is also much less than the maximum.

So if you're running a 100 watt bass amp in a room lit by two 100 watt light bulbs, the lights are going to use twice as much electricity as your amp.

When I pay my electric bill (about $70 a month) a seat of the pants guess for the cost of running my bass amps over the month is maybe $1.

4. That's a good question, but it's probably so little... who cares? I'd imagine 'bout .02 for me a day... iono... wierd question.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I'd say basses cost quite a bit with all the 9 volts I buy, but amps not so much when you figure how much heating and A/C contribute to the electric bill.

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    does the current draw of the amp also factor into the cost?

7. You spend A LOT more money arguing about it on the computer at talkbass, thats for sure.

8. Zing ! :D

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Zing Zing ! :D

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Zing of the dayyyyyyyy!

The ultimate zinggggg!

Fignuts.