Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cost of the Realist system?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by JazznFunk, Jan 1, 2002.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Hi all....

I checked out David Gage's site, but was unable to find information on how much the Realist system costs. A quick note on how much this system goes for would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. shinebass

shinebass

Dec 19, 2001
    Ptuj, Slovenia
    If I remember correctly, acouple of years ago, I've paid $180 for the Realist plus $20 for shipping it over here to Europe.
    By the way, I am using it through Sadowsky outboard preamp and to my ears it works fine.
    Hope that helped some.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Also expect dimples on the front of your bass where the element resides in the pickup (where the bridge sits on the body), and the foil can also discolor the front of the bass (where the pickup is larger than the foot of the bridge).

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This is all true. In addition, if you do a search on this board with "Realist" as keyword, you'll discover that the Realist has a high rate of failure - and that Gage's record on returning communications regarding repairs is less than stellar.

If you are still set on the Realist, it can be purchased through Lemur.

5. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Chris,
    I'm looking at the Realist based on comments about it's natural tone and ease of use. I am, however, open to other suggestions. What are some other favorite pickups out there that you all favor over the Realist?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27040

This thread is a start, but do a search of the amps forum and you'll find tons of info on the various pickups mentioned. I'm completely satisfied with my K&K/Acoustic Image setup, which is something I never thought I'd say about any pickup/amp combination.

7. cadillac

cadillac

Dec 18, 2001
    St. Louis
    I too have never had any problems with my realist(the problem I posted earlier in this forum was a problem with my amp). It is the only pickup that I have used, that sounds good without a preamp. If I remember correctly, Hammond-Ashley sells the realist for $175.