1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cost to get a wiring job done...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, May 13, 2006.

1. So I was in my local shop today, to ask about the cost of rewiring the SX jazz I'm getting. I want it to stay passive and wire it Vol/Blend/Tone with a push/pull on the volume for series/parallel. He said it would cost upwards of 200$. I don't think thats reasonable. Is that how much it should be?

2. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    50 bucks, TOPS. Hell, send it to me and ship it both ways, and I'll do it for 40. You're getting soaked, period. It's a 15-20 minute job, at the most.

3. Thats what I thought. The guy didn't really know anything about it. He wasn't the tech, but he owns the shop. He said rewiring it wasn't going to be cheap, but that was the price off his head. I'll go back in and talk to the tech this thursday on the day of my lesson, and if I get a similar figure from him, you may be getting a PM soon:ninja: ........

4. You could always go with a pre-wired harness. Stan

5. Where would I go about finding one of these?

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    HASSound -

You're treading awfully close to crossing the Commercial User policy line there, bro.

And now that it's known that you have a business related to the music industry, you need (i.e. must) notify Paul (site admin) to have your user identity modified from Registered User to note that you're a commercial user. It's the rules we all live by here.

And for future reference - it's against site policy to stomp your business directly like you did in your post above. If you want to hit on someone for business you need to drop them a private message (PM)

all the best,

R

7. I apologize for breaking any forum rules. It was unintentional. I have deleted my message. Stan

8. Got a link to a thread with info? I'll check it out, and if I feel that I could do it, I'd be more than willing.

9. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Hi Stan -

No prob ... I saw your post count and figured it was done in pure innocence. The CUP is something that is a little frustrating to work with at times, but the vast majority of TBers truly benefit from it being in place.

besides, I'm not a forum mod - just one commercial user to another helping you not make the same mistake I did :)

and now back to your regularly scheduled thread .........

all the best,

R

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, without the CUP two things would happen..
    1. These forums would be spammed by commercial user pimping their product and/or services
    2. The advertizers would pull their ads leaving TB without that source of income.

12. Point taken and understood, thanks guys. Stan

13. Mike Lull quoted me $145, to change the active passive switch I had on a bass to a series/parallel switch (since I didn't use the passive mode on that bass). :scowl:

I said..."nevermind" :p

14. I'm probably gonna end up going with a pre-wired harness, like HASSound suggested. And it may not be going in an SX, but maybe a Geddy Lee Jazz:D I just have to decide once my money gets to me...

15. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The double meaning and gayness of the thread title is priceless :D

16. Dude, I didn't even notice that:D This thread has been up for like 5 days, and I'm as perverted as anybody and I missed that. :D Oh well:ninja: ...

17. Snakeman!

I've had experience doing the series/parallel mod to 2 of my basses. It's great.

As far as I know though, the best way to do this with a vol/blend pot combination is to use a 3pdt switch which is very hard to find in a push pull pot.

You can do it with a dpdt switch but it won't bypass the blend pot so if you actually use the blend you'll have to reset your blend pot to center when you go to series mode to have the full output. If you're the kind of person who likes to find the perfect blend spot and stick it there you might not like this because you'll have to mess up your perfect spot when you switch between series and parallel.

At the time I did my mods the only push/pull type switch that had enough poles for the blend bypass was the S-1 switch from a fender. Fender would only sell these switches as replacement parts for guitars equipped with them, so you could only get them off ebay from people changing their wiring.

I'm not sure if this is still true, there may be some available now, but you may have to end up using a toggle switch if you want the volume/blend combination with series blend bypass.

The 3pdt mini toggles I couldn't even find off any guitar suppliers, I had to look at mouser electronics to find one. (I hate having to order stuff from a bunch of different places to do a project.)

Given that, I just stayed with vol/vol because I wanted the cleaner look.

here the link to the thread that has the diagrams on it.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141764

18. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I have thr HAS-Sound wiring system and pickups installed in my Spector (replaced the active EMGs) ... all great stuff, just dropped right in.