Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cost to PIMP MY JAZZ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by opivy3056, Dec 20, 2004.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey whats up ?
    I finally got around to upgrading my bass! Im very excited. The components havent shipped yet, but in the meantime I was thinking about how much it would cost to get them installed since I dont have the skills to do it myself. I ordered a set of Bartolini 9K#1 dual coil pickups and a Leo Quan Badass II bridge. I cant wait to hear how they sound.
    But...back to the problem. How much would it cost to have components like these installed? I know I'll have to have the neck and bridge set up again, pickups installed, strings changed (even though I put some new ones on this weekend :meh: ) and I figured I'd go ahead and get the inside of my bass shielded with the copper stuff because I heard it would help with the noise.

Im guessing the price varies depending on where you go.
    What have you guys paid to have stuff like this done?

thanks for your help!

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    There's no reason you can't do the bridge yourself. It's simply a matter of unscrewing four screws, lifting the bridge off, putting the new one in it's place, and putting the four screws back in. The holes should line up exactly, so there's no drilling. The Badass was meant to be a direct drop-in.

Actually it could be harder than that - there might be five screws. :D

The pickups aren't really a chore, either, if you've ever had the joy of soldering before. I can understand if you want those taken to a professional, though. So while I haven't answered your question, hopefully you'll save yourself a few bucks on the bridge.

3. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Man, I WISH they had a show "Pimp My Bass!"... I'd probably watch that one.

4. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    There prolly will be someday.
    Look at all the different channels they have now!
    Give it 50 years at the most and there will be a guitar channel
    Then there will be an all bass channel. lol
    it could happen.

AWW SON!... YOU PIMP'D MAH BASS YO! :bassist:

5. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    O-Dogg,

Let us know what it runs you. I', seriously thinking of pimpin my Brice.

6. What brice ya got roger (and what style pickups)? Depending on what you upgrade and where you find the parts (eBay = good for cheap, good parts). Also check around here.

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    You need to file holes though, I'm pretty sure. I heard that's best left to someone with experience.

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    on the BadAssII...you'll need to file/notch the saddles. :bassist: