1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cost to ship a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by El Güero, Sep 11, 2019.

1. DrewinHouston

DrewinHouston Not currently practicing Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Disclosure: I am not a great bass player
    I'm about to give up on Reverb for the same reason, I've had three lowball offers (less than half of asking) on my current listing. I expect I'll turn off the option to accept offers on my next listing.

2. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, those prices have certainly changed since you last shipped a bass then, as that's exactly what I do. But, I'll say there's been zero price difference in me printing my label vs. FedEx printing the label.

3. DrewinHouston

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    The last half-dozen basses I have shipped, in hardshell cases with these boxes, have been around $75 in the continental US via FedEx Ground. I think you save $5-$10 by having an account and dropping the box off at a store.

El Güero and DWBass like this.
  4. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    For that price, sounds like you added insurance or they packed it.
    A lot of my sellers don’t insure to keep cost down but I almost always insure but sometimes not for the full value of the shipment.

El Güero likes this.
  5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I remember paying paying $50 bucks max for shipping basses valued up to $1200. I was usually using UPS, then. After hearing UPS horror stories, I switched to FedEx. The last bass I sold had a declared value of $1700 and cost $125.

El Güero and DrewinHouston like this.
  6. Potomuss

Potomuss Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Peoria, IL
    I also think that there are certain pockets where it costs a fortune to ship from and to. Had a sale about a year ago that was maybe $50 from Illinois to either coast. But this one place in Pennsylvania... $85!

El Güero likes this.
  7. DrewinHouston

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    My last four shipments via FedEx Ground:
    Houston to Little Rock, Arkansas $52.12
    Houston to San Mateo, California $79.80
    Houston to Decatur, Alabama $51.88
    Houston to San Antonio, Texas $49.39

El Güero and Burwabit like this.
  8. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I always figure $80 for ground from Texas. If you live somewhere besides Texas, that's your fault. ;)

9. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

I just shipped a bass from California to Florida $150 including ins. I let FedEx box it up though $25

FedEx.

edit-pic

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    El Güero likes this.
  10. BigBear77

BigBear77 Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2017
    UPS or FedEx is the way to go. USPS is a rip off for large or heavy items

El Güero likes this.
  11. MRlowend

MRlowend Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2015
    South East, Missouri
    I just shipped a bass yesterday from Arkansas to California and the cost was $112.07 for 21lbs, 52x20x6 box and insurance via FedEx Ground. Initially, I was going to go online myself to FedEx and use my personal account, and the cost totaled $85.00 and some change to include insurance.

I really needed to get the bass out yesterday, and so happens, I was driving from MO to AR anyway so I took the bass with me, already pre-packaged, ready to go. (no shipping centers in my rural area) So, I stopped by POSTNET and they quoted me $114.00 and told me if I took it to FedEx myself, I would save significantly on cost. Drove to FedEx shipping center and saved $2.00, spent more on that for the gas to drive there so they were wrong.

Previously, I've always packaged and weighed the basses myself for shipment, and printed my label. So, I learned a valuable lesson, DIY and save money, it's only an additional $5.00 to schedule a pickup from my house. Also note, if your able to ship using Home Delivery, it's usually cheaper as well, or my past experience has been.

El Güero likes this.
  12. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    It was cheaper than UPS or FEDEX

El Güero likes this.
  13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Why didn’t you ship it billed to your account? That same $85 should have come up.

El Güero likes this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I have my own account too. Prices have soared recently. What used to cost $35 now runs $75 or more.

Regarding FedEx, always use a genuine FedEx Office/Print/Ship store. Not a locally owned generic shipping store. FedEx will ship it if you packed it properly. They do have the right to open it to inspect the packaging, but I have found that if it’s a good looking box with a clean looking tape job, nothing rattles when they wiggle it, they won’t cut it open. And if you requested a pickup from your location, the above is moot anyway.

They may request it be downtuned. (The debate over that is moot. If they require it, they require it.)

If you do want them to pack it, last time I asked, that was an extra $20 for their box and packaging, with the assurance of a hassle free claim if it got damaged in transit. You still have to declare the value and pay for coverage accordingly.

Now for the worst part. FedEx limits claim payouts on vintage guitars damaged in transit to a mere $1000. They define vintage as over 20 years old. I don’t know what people do to insure anything pre 1999 they sell for over $1000.

El Güero likes this.
  15. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio
    I shipped a Jazz Deluxe V to Cali from Ohio last year using UPS, insured it for about $600 I think, and I paid around $120. IIRC I had them make a box for it though so I probably could've saved a decent chunk if I'd had my own.

El Güero likes this.
  16. DrewinHouston

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    USPS is cheaper, but the last few times I tried to set up a USPS shipment for a bass in a hard-shell case, it exceeded their maximum size limits. I did manage to use USPS to ship a bass to Canada, but it was in a gig back and I was able to use a smaller box.

El Güero likes this.
  17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    That is the way I shipped my last bass. In a gig bag.

El Güero and DrewinHouston like this.
  18. Rayjay

Rayjay Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Thanks for starting a discussion on this. It’s good to see what others are paying.

19. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    My most recent shipment was a vintage bass, FedEx won't insure anything over (I believe) 20 yrs old for more than $1,000. I already had the bass included via a rider on my homeowners insurance policy, and they told me that would cover it while in transit. So I shipped it in a FedEx guitar box (50x20x8) in a hardshell case @ 25 lbs, cost was about $55. Another cost-saving trick is to have it shipped to a FedEx store, to be picked up by the buyer. It saves money in two ways - shipping via FedEx Ground is cheaper than FedEx Home Delivery, but is only available if you ship to a commercial address, and it costs less to ship to a FedEx Center rather than a private address - presumably because the drivers always stop at the stores, so it saves them a stop.

Coolhandjjl and El Güero like this.
  20. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Prices are going up but having shipped many basses UPS, recently it is was nearly $100 cross country from CA. That included declared value insurance. Size and weight will also factor into the fee. I use USPS for bodies and necks, bodies around $35, necks around $25.

El Güero likes this.