1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Costco carrots cause cramps in Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hbarcat, Aug 19, 2007.

1. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Costco has issued a voluntary recall of some baby carrots, which are known to have made four people sick. They were sold in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and Newfoundland.

The carrots are labelled Los Angeles Salad Company Genuine Sweet Baby Carrots, and they come from Mexico. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has warned of contamination by shigella, which causes fever, nausea and vomiting, and other flulike symtoms. Food is usually contaminated by shigella when it comes in contact with water polluted by human sewage, and people who have shigellosis are usually ill for three to 14 days

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/n...=101e934e-7f3f-46e3-8193-2ec04a24c853&k=75341

How will this carrot recall affect the TB community living in The Great White North? :help:

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Probably not too much. I buy almost all of my groceries at Costco, but I stock up every 2 to 3 weeks and as a result I buy my fruit and vegetables at a local supermarket. Plus I live in Manitoba (not on the list) and I don't ever recall seeing baby carrots at the Costco here in Winnipeg.

3. Best thread title I've seen in a while. Just puttin' that out there. :D

My family doesn't shop at Costco, but I'll keep the label in mind.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I like the 5 C's alliteration in your title.

5. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Actually, one of the other symptoms is........diarhea. But I thought it would be just a bit excessive to add the word 'craps' to the title just to get 6 C's. :p

6. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    When i first read the thread title I thought it was going to be a thread where people have to put up alliterative sentances :D

7. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    but the real damage is...
    ...one fewer polling choice on TB for Canadians!

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Man, I'd hate to think I'd been eating food that was contaminated with sewage. There should be a warning on the packet "Attention! May contain faeces!"

9. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    all 'seasonal residents' of Washington, DC have that label, as required by law.

10. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    It cant be that bad!

Something that has passed through that many kidneys surely cant be that unclean.

11. do you mean the citizens of canada cant control their crap because of cramps caused by costco's carrots ?

12. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Thorough washing and cooking of food products is
    always a good idea.

Thorough washing of hands and use of clean water
    in food preparation is always a good idea.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap19.html

My own take is that RTE (ready to eat) foods carry higher
    risks of contamination to the consumer. E.Coli and
    Listeria are commonly vectored in salads, especially
    salads prepared with items such as Mayo AND then
    improperly refrigerated.

Think of Aunt Mim's chicken salad which has sat out for
    a few hours with no ice under the bowl. I couldn't think
    of a more perfect bacteria growing medium.

Bacteria are everywhere, but you can take steps to
    reduce your risk.

And as far as carrots, don't assume that just because they
    are peeled in the bag, they are ready to eat. And how come
    those carrots never turn brown, ever? :meh: I'll ponder
    that for a while.

Morals of the story:
    Handle it right.
    Keep your hands clean when prepping food.
    Keep cold foods cold.
    Keep hot foods hot.
    Cook raw foods thoroughly. Cook Ground meats to 160 F internal minimum to kill
    E. Coli and its cousins.

Now I am going to eat some sushi and a canape with steak tartare and raw egg with
    spinach.

See you in a few weeks.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    But what about something that has passed through your bowels!?

14. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    I dunno, screw it! i was only quoting Terry Pratchett! haha

15. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    You ever heard of "night soil"? Its where in certain countries, the farmer and his family take a dump on the crop for fertilization. Gross but true. If you looked at the crop from above, like in a plane, you'd see that the closer you are to the farmer's house, the greener the crop due to proximity and the "nutrient" factor in their poop.

I work part-time in a grocery store (produce dept). Make sure you wash your melons REAL well. When you cut them the knife will drag whatever is on the skin into the edible portion. If the melon hasnt been washed properly you're eating poop... or I should say you could be eating poop. This is especially true for watermelon. Also, cut melons should be displayed on ice or kept cool as this reduces bacteria. If your market just has wrapped watermelon (etc) just sitting on a table with no ice, its a good indication that there health & safety guidelines aren't up to par!