1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

costs of bass teachers

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by hova9018, Apr 26, 2006.

1. hova9018

hova9018

Mar 13, 2006
    Hi, i live in New York (which'll probably boost any price by about 30%), and i've been playing bass for a few months. I've made a lot of progress just playing by myself, i've taught myself how to slap pretty well, but i dont know theory. I also want to learn how to play different styles and all that good stuff. So basically i think i might start looking for a teacher, so i just wanna hear the different prices that people have paid for some good ones. thnx.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    When I was taking lessons before I moved, I was paying $30/half hour.

3. Actually, prices in NYC will likely be closer to double IIRC. I teach in Phoenix AZ and charge $25 per hour, $20 per hour if you by in advance blocks ($240 for 12 lessons). IMO, I find half hour lessons are generally useless - too short to get much done. Some people out here charge more, some charge less, but I make my students come to me in my home studio so with the drive I try to keep my prices reasonable, gas and all. If you can find someone you like it's worth it!

4. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    I pay 12.50 for half an hour but it usually runs about 45 minutes.

5. I live in Nashville (well, I'm in Prague until July-but Nashvegas is home). I took lessons from Regi Wooten. He charges $50 an hour. John Billings (of Donna Summer and VW bass camp fame) charges $40 an hour. I talked to Bob Babbit, and he was talking somwhere in that range, too, though he doesn't give lessons. I just happened to luck out somehow. Too bad we could never connect. Anyway, these guys are HUGE names in the biz, it's up to individual preference whether they're actually worth the money. Anyway, Nashville is a big music town, so I think that should give you a decent look at high-end. I think Roscoe Beck charges $60 an hour at bass emporium in Texas. I heard a rumor once that Bill Dickens was charging $100 an hour. Anyway, my point is I wouldn't pay the above prices or more to someone unless they have legitimate experience/credentials and/or serious training (e.g. Berkley, etc...).

I would expect $15-$20 for a half hour as a reasonable price for an average teacher. Do you live in NYC or just some town in NY? Message me and I might be able to get you in touch with a local bassist there who is sponsored by Fodera. I don't think he usually gives lessons, but his touring schedule has slackened a bit.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Ok-here's what i pay here in Chicago & back home.

Note: These prices are what i most recently paid, and may or may not be what they still charge. I make no claims to these being current-essentially, i'm covering my own hide. :)

in Laf. both of the guys i studied w/were $30/hr.

here in Chicago, both of my teachers are $50/hr. One of them is the bass prof. @ school [he told me what his rate is for people who take w/him outside of school], and the other plays for the Chicago cast of Wicked. Both are truly killer players.

I believe Bill Dickens is $100/hr and you go to his studio up in Evanston.

7. Squashtail2

Squashtail2

Mar 28, 2006
    My lessons are 65$ for 2 hours. In North Carolina.

8. I pay $40 an hour for an awesome guy who has 30+ years playing experience, I believe he's been teaching most of that time as well. He's worth the hour and a half El ride into downtown Chi-town. :D (Going later on today, actually.)

But what should really determine the price is what you're WILLING to pay, for what you want to learn. With a market that huge in your back yard, you probably have plenty to choose from--call around, send e-mails--ask each if they teach what you want to learn, and ask how they structure their lessons. Get a sense of their vibe to see if you'd want to work with them. Go with whoever does what you need for the best price.

...$100/hr???? :eek: Who has that kind of dough to fork out? Wow...

9. My lessons run my $19 per half an hour. I start at 9:15 and have never left before 10:30 more like 10:45. So I am really gettin my moneys worth and my teacher is an amazing player with both the bass and guitar.

10. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    hye man, i live in nyc too and i had paid from 35-85 for an hr.this is the best teacher i ever had he charges 50 an hr:
    http://www.buddybooker.com/

11. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    I know a guy who took a lesson from Lincoln Goines in NYC $50/hour rather cheap I thought - I took upright lessons in DC for $70/hour from a master. I charge $40/hour and work my butt off for my students - meaning I transcribe anything for them, fix their basses, obviously advise them on issues of purchases and talk life when they want - plus they always get extra time. It is all about value - I am sure there are students who would pay more and some students who would walk from one of my sessions.

12. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    I pay 20 euros an hour + 5 extra since he comes to my home.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I pay about $55 an hour but it's well worth it, especially when you turn around and start teaching yourself.

14. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I live on Long Island and pay $45 an hour.

15. I haven't taken lessons in a few years but when I did, it was $80 a month, one 1/2 hour lesson a week, so thats, $40 an hour, I agree with who ever said half an hour isnt long enough

16. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Someone from another forum said that they take lessons with John Pattituci and pays $200 per lesson. Not sure if that is true or not.