Cough remedies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Sep 5, 2004.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I haven't gotten any sleep for the past few nights because of a nasty, dry cough. I've tried all of the cold medicines (including some great stuff from GNC), but I can't shake the cough! It's driving me insane! So, what are do you do to get rid of a cough?
  2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    A persistant cough should be looked into. For numerous reasons you have something going on.You may want to try about 50mg of benedryl and a good cough supressant.

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Go to a doctor and get a prescription. I usually get a bad cough about once a year and prescription cough medicines are the only things that really work, plus they taste much better.
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  5. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA

I'm just getting over a cold right now, and I cant sleep sometimes when because of a cough. Usually I take some NyQuill and I can sleep. I also sometimes use the Vics chloroseptic *spelling*. But since you said you tried all the medications, I would suggest going to get that checked out, or just trying to keep your throat moisturized with cough drops or something.
  6. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Codeine Syrup. The only way to go.
  7. And keep drinking until you find something good in the way of medication.

And by drinking, I obviously mean alcohol. :rolleyes: :D
  8. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Well, goto a doctor and see if he can give you some Cough Syrup with Codeine. Chances are he won't though because Codeine is an opiate which is extremely addictive. But, it is the best damn thing in the world for coughing. I know this because my dads a physician and he used to/still does sometimes give me some of it when I got a real bad cold
  9. honey and lemon in hot water. if you are singing, slippery elm.
    menthol or eycalyptus isn't good on vocal cords if you have to sing, screws up pitching in the high register.
  10. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Considered, but decided against it...
    I caved and went to the doctor, got some prescription meds, hopefully it will work out. Thanks for the replies, guys!
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    A tip from my naturopath. Add ginger. And substitute normal honey with Manuka Honey. It's just honey from a flower instead of bees so it tastes a bit different. This concoction cured my chronic coughing after many doctors tried and failed. Well it was probably a combination of this concoction and the program he put me on to strengthen my immune system. I must say I was sceptical at first but it seems to be working. I feel so much better in so many ways........
  12. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    What would be an appropriate mixture? Sounds like something I might try during the day, as I can only take my prescription at night.
  13. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Just make a cup of tea as you would normally. But instead of boiling water in a kettle, use the stove and a saucepan, throwing a small handfull of diced up ginger in there. Let it boil for 5 or 6 minutes, the remove the ginger pieces with a spoon or strainer. Then pour this water into a mug with a table spoon or 2 of manuka honey and tea bag. Squirt some lemon juice in there (real lemon juice from a real lemon, not the processes stuff), stir it up, and drink.

The honey soothes the throat, the ginger and lemon help break up the mucus blob that's sitting in your chest. In other words you'll find yourself bringin up flegm. Don't swallow it. Spit it out in an appropriate place.