Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could a 1x12 & 2x12 replace a 1x15 & 2x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by berklee46, Apr 12, 2003.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    In my effort to downsize my rig even more, I'm wondering if a 1x12 along with a 2x12 would be enough to replace a 1x15 & 2x10 for the gigs that have no PA support for the bass?

For what it's worth, the 1x15 and 2x10 have been plenty loud enough to cover those gigs, but I'd be curious whether the 12's would be able to do the same?

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    It probably depends on what company your talking about........but my Bergie 2/12 smokes any fifteen I've ever had for low end! For some gigs I use a Bergie 2/12 & 1/12, and they sound great together.

3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
  4. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I picked up 2ea. Aguilar GS112's. I originally bought them for a house rig so I could leave my SWR Goliath Jr. (2x10) and SWR Son of Bertha (1x15) rig always packed and ready to go, as well as doing a gig with out having to lug around 2 heavy cabs.

I gigged with both Aggie cabs , stacked, this weekend. IMO, I like the sound of the Aggies better than the SWR cabs. They are more portable than the SWR cabs, can handle just as much power, and handle my low "B" with ease.

I have not gigged with just one yet, I will eventually. I use a Demeter preamp with a QSC PLX-1602 to power the cabs. I hope this helped.

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    BTW, I play in a funk/fusion band. We have a controled stage volume and use the PA for vocals only. The SWR cabs have been replaced by the Aggies. The SWR cabs are now the house cabs.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I don't think that you would have any problem switching to the 1x12 & 2x12 from a volume perspective. Just be sure to check out the efficiency ratings. I have an Eden 212XLT which gets quite loud. I also just picked up a new Mini Rig, which consists of a Mesa Boogie Walkabout powering an Epifani T-112 and Epifani T-110UL. While I haven't had a chance to crank it yet, this setup should be quite loud.

Now that I hear how good some of the smaller cabs are, though, I too, am considering downsizing my Big Rig, which is currently the 212XLT and a Boogie 4x10 powered by an Eden Navigator and PLX 3002. I think I may trade in these two cabs for an Accugroove Whappo, Jr. You may want to think about that, too. It has two 12's (but don't call it a 2x12!), plus a midrange driver and two tweets. It is a 4 ohm cab, and my guess is that it'll crank out everthing that your 1x15 and 2x10 did, plus some. And it'll do it in a very precise and articulate manner.

Of course, the Berg 322 is also killer, I hear. My point is, that not only may a 1x12 and 2x12 handle things for you, but you may even be able to find a single cab (that you can actually carry by yourself!) to do the job.

Hope this helps, Tom.