1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could anybody review the new Ray34,35 by Musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crow01, Apr 25, 2009.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Anybody that had actually tried or bought the Ray34 or 35. And if you could compare to the most expensive ones.

Please comment only if you own one or tried one.

I searched through this forum and there are only fights of OLP and stingrays and cheap vs expensive.

Please can anybody give an accurate review, besides the article on bass player.

2. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
    If you mean the Sterling by Musicman are those even publicly available yet?

3. Last I heard they were just on pre order atm. I wish they would not have used Sterling as the name, now I can't just say I have a sterling to someone. I have to be more specific as not to sound like I have an indonesian piece of garbage. And yes, they are made in Indonesia just like G&L tributes and Fender Squire.

4. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    I don't know about the Ray 34/35, but the Bass Guitar Magazine guy Ed Friedland got a hold of the SB14, and gives a sneak preview right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JShLyM1ZCkU

Sounds pretty good to me! Can't wait to try one of these out.

5. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  6. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Buried and overlooked in all those arguments is my review from comparing side by side with a USA at NAMM.

Bottom line, thumbs up. The differences are so slight it could be anything.

Jim

7. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
  8. Do you often worry about people thinking you have an "indonesian piece of garbage"?
    I'd worry more about insulting a bunch of people on this board who either like Tribute's and Squier's, or might not be able to afford a U.S. made instrument.
    Besides, with a cheap bass, if you're good you seem humble, and if not, at least you don't look like a poser!;)

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Some how, I don't think this will be that much of an issue. As others have mentioned, there have been many levels of Fenders for years, all but the terminally clueless know the difference.

BTW, if Indonesian Tributes, Squires, and Skylines are junk, I would be very to be a junkman.:D

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Stingray 35 ?
    What is different to the "stingray" on the 34,35?

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Wow. Ernie Ball has gone the import route now too huh? Fine if you like 'em, but it's as disapointing as when G&L & Lakland did it.

I can appreciate gaining market share, and understand the business end of it, I really do and it makes sense, but it's a dilution of the brand, imo. Does not in any way make them inferior instruments...

12. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    About the only difference I saw in my 55-94 and my 55-02 was about 2 grand.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

+1

Around here there are a lot of high dollar basses that sit in the bedroom all weekend. My Korean Ibanez, My MIJ Jazz and I turn down more gigs than we play together and we're still really busy. And at all of those hundreds of gigs I've done over the years, I never gave a crap about the one or two guys sporting black Fender and PRS Tshirts in the room who were too busy staring at my head stock to have a good time. If somebody is going to come up and ask me for an explination of why I play the kind of bass that I do, he had better be one Jaco bad MF (or at least a lot bigger than me :cool:)

Now, back to the OP...I have heard nothing but good things about them in reviews. I would still suggest waiting until they are available for playing before buying (unless the company you buy from has a really good return policy).

14. Just do what I do: I wear a shirt that informs everyone of the location of manufacture of what I play so that even the non-musicians can get in on the uniformed blathering. I wear mine so much, I had to get a new "I Play Indonesian Garbage" shirt printed the other day. To make the contradiction run full circle, I made sure the shirt was made in America.

Mike

15. Sorry guys, if you look at my collection you will see I have nothing against cheap basses. As ridiculous as it may sound, I am just sore of the use of the name Sterling for a lower budget instrument. I honestly use a $150 bass for most of my gigs.

If you wanna make this a big deal, that's fine, but you will not see my reply again. I didn't realize I was on a childish forum where people get offended by someone they don't even know.

16. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Calm down. Very few of us actually know each other beyond this forum. You posted again and explained yourself. I can see your issue. At least for me, it's all good.:bassist:

17. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    Ok,

Please review this if you bought it. Don't start discussing what's cheap or expensive. Nobody cares if it was made in indonesia or usa.

They are selling it now on guitarcenter and other sites for like $700

I guess nobody bought this bass yet.

18. +1. No harm done.
    I actually agree that it was a needless dilution of the brand by using a pre-existing model name. With all of the creativity at Ernie Ball, I'm sure they could have come up with something less confusing.

19. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Look in this month's bassplayer...full review of those bass'.

20. Don't confuse "offended" with "amused". +1 to the Dr.

Mike