could anyone tab this ?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by myrick, Jun 14, 2002.

1. I heard this rEaLLy kEwL song on a CD by some guy named Cecil Talor that my band wants to try at our high skool battle of the bands next month. Can anyone tab the bass part for me ?

It, like, sounds kinda wierd. And our guitar-player needs the chords also.

2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I've just taken a peek at your previous posts-ever read 'Flowers for Algernon' ?
  3. your implication being that I have now progressed (regressed) well into the second half of the book ??
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    LOL good call
  5. CS you really need to make your slams reach the masses.

Flowers for Algernon OK now three of us got the joke.

(smile removed out of respect.)
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Gruff nice to 'see' you again. It wasn't a slam more like a swipe with a handbag. Perhaps it's a subconcious attempt to raise the posts above the level of the summer holiday frenzied school kids who read nothing more than a breakfast cereal packet.

PS that was a slam at anyone under 17 and I'm smiling.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DuDe, CeCiL tAyLoR RuLeZ!!! hE lOoKs ReElY cOoL wHeN hE wEaRs ThAt WhItE sToCkInG cAp On StAgE, cEpT iT cOvErS uP hIs EyBrOw RiNgS 2 mUcH iMo.:(
  8. I still want to know what Cecil Taylor song it is.
  9. tummage

Apr 23, 2002
    New Orleans, La
    Ask Cecil who Tabbed it for him.

Now that's a slam!
    LOL tummage just joking- I couldn't resist.:p
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I had a rescued labrat I named Algernon. He was a cool pet.

I don't think anyone that met him had known of the book... I'm pretty sure I read it in class in jr. high
  11. JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    You could have made the slam a bit easier for the masses if you asked him if he had seen the movie "Charlie" instead. :D
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The following website may help :

Here's a relevant quote :

"structure and notation

There were about four or five "pieces" in total, the two main ones broken down into 15 and 32 sections respectively. We seldom rehearsed the pieces all the way through. The scores (photocopies appear in the appendix) were usually dictated by Taylor, and we wrote them down using his "letter notation," in which the letter names of the notes are written on plain white paper, the vertical and horizontal axes corresponding respectively to pitch and sequence. For example, a C triad arpeggiated up and down would look like:

Larger leaps were usually indicated by a line, often with the corresponding interval number. For example, a leap from C to E a twelfth above would be written:

Simultaneities were written on top of each other:

It should be mentioned that, since the familiarity with Taylor's music varied quite a bit between musicians, many musicians had some difficulty in keeping up with Taylor's rapid and rather quiet dictation. He also gave us two photocopied score pages which were written in the style described above. The musicians were arranged in instrumental sections, and the different lines or chords of the compositions were each assigned to a particular section. There was never any attempt to form smaller choirs of varying instrumentation, such as one trumpet, one tenor saxophone, and one violin; rather it always worked that all the trumpets, tenors or violins would play at the same time. While Taylor occasionally commented on the rhythm or phrasing of a passage, or structured it in some way (play forward twice then retrograde once, for example), most often the various instrumental sections were left to determine how to play the passage. He had told us "I'm not favorably impressed with conducting, so I would like you to discuss with your section how you might proceed." He occasionally gave instructions or new material composed on the spot to sections individually, so that it was sometimes difficult to gain a complete understanding of all the material. There was no "conductor score" which contained all of the parts. "
  13. Bruce Lindfield

And here's as close to tabbing Cecil Taylor as you are likely to get :

- don't every say I'm not helpful! ;)
  14. not to be nitpicky, but in case anyone looks for it at the local video store, it's "Charly." :)
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Isn't that a fragrance for Women? ;)

I don't know.... you try to keep these things on track! :D
  16. Damn. I've gotta work on my sight reading. What key is that in again?
  17. Bruce Lindfield

It's not - that's the point! ;)