Could appreciate some assistance :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by daTHChronic, Nov 12, 2004.

1. daTHChronic

Nov 12, 2004
    Tampa, Fl.
    Hello, i'm new to the forums, I've been playin the Bass guitar for around 2 years now. I play in my school Jazz band mostly, but our tubas arnt to loud so he lets me play bass for almost all of our songs now. But now on to my dilema. We are having a performance tomorrow, Saturday, so I was to take the school's amp home and bring to the performance. I didn't find it a bad deal, because now I have a 200 watt amp that I can play all weekend. My band director keeps saying that it is $1000, but I found it for $600 LOL. Now I was originally playing on a 50 watt Crate, but it could barely be heard when playing outside. So he purchased a Hartke HA2000 Bass amp head, and a Hartke speaker cabinet. Outside, the new amp could barely be heard. I would swear that the 50 watt Crate was just as loud. I didn't know what the problem was. I checked and made sure that all the cables were plugged in securely. But it seems to be fine when playing on my bass. But another question I have, is what do I put the settings at. I know, I should try and hear whats best. I did that as best as I could, but I was wondering if there was a site out there that had settings that you could set the bars to. Or if you could maybe give me some tips. The songs we are playing are: The Impression That I Get, Are you gonna be my Girl ( By Jet), Vehicle, and All the Small Things ( Blink 182). And also, what does compression do? And help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. interesting jazz standards. if your question is getting more volume, then maybe you could do the following.

If you have a corner or wall outside, set up amp as close as possible to the corner or wall. You may be able to run a cable from the hartke with the crate to use both. Two ways. First, you can run the headphone output of the hartke into the input(active) of the crate. Or better, run into a jack that says "return" or "preamp in" or "line level in" but unlikely the crate will have it. If you have a PA system, you can also plug it from the hartke preamp out or headphone into the PA.

I doubt the crate will let you use just its speaker. But if you have access to another bass cab and speaker cable, you would be able to tune both with the hartke. Other than that, make sure the guitarist and drums keep their volume at reasonable levels.
  3. daTHChronic

Nov 12, 2004
    Tampa, Fl.
    I wish I could, but we have a whole line of marching percussion, its like impossible for the to be quiet :crying: Any help on the settings though, thats what I really need.
  4. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Save up and get a qcs RMX 1450 and aN ampeg SVT 810HE AND A AMPEG svp-pro trust me if anyone complains about you not being heard then they need their ears checked.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as far as eq goes try bumping up some of the midrange frequencies a bit. this will probably sound a little bad when played solo but in a full band context you will get heard. If the hartke speaker cabinet is 8 ohms then you are only getting 120 watts out of the head, which isnt going to be much louder than 50 watts. If the hartke head has a preamp out you can run that into the crate's front input, keep the input volume of the crate all the way down and slowly bring it up until it is as loud as the hartke. that should give you more volume as well.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Outside on a field, nobody is going to hear you playing bass through that head and cabinet. You'd need some serious watts and many speakers, including a sub or two.