Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could be asking for the impossible...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Electricmayhem, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    So I've been saving up for awhile to buy a head/cab rig and I'm trying to keep the cab part of the deal under $300. I'm leaning towards a 210 and I'd like it to cover Low B. So...anyone know of a 210 for under $300 that could take 300 watts and go down to say, 40 hz?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    How loud do you need it to be. If volume isn't a concern, you can sometimes find a used Acme low-b2 for a little more than that shipped. They are not very loud though, especially with only 300W or so.

If it needs to be loud and low and under $300, well I don't think you'll find too much.

Regarding cabs your options are generally loud, low, and small. Pick two and only two of those options. There are some exceptions but none of them fall into your price range.

3. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Well, thanks for the info, Big Joe. I don't think I'll be needing excessive volume though. I'll probably wind up looking at used stuff.

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I prefer 10's myself, but you aren't going to be able to push lows like that at any volume with just two 10's, at least not in that price range. Consider two 12's, a pair of 12's, or a 4x10.

5. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Some things to look into then are Eden T-210's, and/or XLT-210's. Maybe an Aguilar 210 but they are generally a little more expensive, IIRC. SWR too, although they are not my cup of tea... The last SWR cab I played that I liked was a Goliath II with different speakers so it was more punchy rather than scooped mids. YMMV.

If you could go an extra $100-150, you can get into some even better stuff used... Epifani, Bergantino, (though these last two are more scarce esp. at these prices but they are out there if you are patient enough) Bag End, Mesa, etc.

6. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I'm looking at avatars right now. Trying to find the hz ratings...IIRC they don't have very good ratings do they?

7. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Their 210 is loud and small, so it doesn't go too low. It used to be somewhere in the 60's on the older style. Not too sure on the newer style... :meh:

8. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    That's right...I forgot the equation. That's pretty helpful. Well thanks, I have a lot to think about now. (frantically researching).

9. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I've seen them used and was occasionally intrigued by them especially regarding price... What do they sound like Smash?

10. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Hmm...thanks again everyone.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Bass Northwest has one for $249.

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    It sounds like a cool cab, although the voicing of the GS-112 is really not one of my favorites. The weight of these cabs were what really put me off. I think the 212 was around 95 lbs. or so. Sounds like a good option if it really moves that much air and costs so little! ;)