1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could have been worse

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lo_freq_geek, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Playing second of 2 nights at a dive bar last night. I noticed a small spring on the floor of the stage, then what looked like a nail. On set break I picked both up and thought "that looks like a bridge saddle adjustment screw for a bass." Turns out it had worked itself out of my bass and the 1st saddle was being held in place by the string pressure. It could have fallen out the night before, I didn't notice. I quickly reinstalled the screw and spring and the p-bass still in-tune. Normally I'm not that observant, just dumb luck.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Nice save.

Sore Thumb likes this.
  3. Good thing it's a dive bar. If they had a janitor you wouldn't have noticed until the saddle escaped (along with the horse).

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Good eye!

Just last night, we were tearing down and the guitarist spots a 1/4" jack nut. We look around and it had worked loose from one of my monitors.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    bolophonic likes this.
  5. I'm trying to imagine how the saddle screw was able to work itself out of the saddle. How low do you normally have the G saddle set?

6. Saddle is low, a couple mm of set screw are showing on the bottom. It was't the height screw that fell out, it was the intonation adjustment screw.
    Before the next gig I'll dab some nailpolish on the threads to prevent any further wiggle out.

MattZilla and Sore Thumb like this.
  7. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Nail polish works on screws too? :roflmao:

Wfrance3 likes this.
  8. As a substitute for loctite

Wfrance3 likes this.
  9. I've had similar situations with double-locking vibrato style guitars when changing strings.
    Little bits fall off on the floor & I'm standing there thinking, "I better get that!".

10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That's good luck! Yesterday I was changing the floor sweep on the front door. Two of us sitting there within three feet of the door, and within 5 minutes the four screws removed from the old sweep magically became THREE. In broad daylight! The landing measured about 3 feet by six feet, but apparently there is an invisible black hole there somewhere, because neither of us could see the #4 screw...

bolt.jpg

ptg, FenderB, mikeyjm2 and 8 others like this.
  11. Juststanley

Juststanley

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    That screw can be found with the missing sock that the dryer ate ! Same alternate dimension !

12. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Once heard a theory that socks are actually wire hangers in larval stage as an explanation for why socks disappear while wire hangers multiply. I'd imagine small fasteners fit in there somewhere, too.

13. Nice.

14. GTx2

GTx2

Jun 12, 2017
    Is this an argument FOR having the backup bass?

mikewalker likes this.
  15. Having the backup would probably have prevented the screw from falling out in the first place... so I'd say yes.

16. Funny, I was just doing some setup work on a bass I rarely use over the weekend, and after filing the nut I turned my attention to the saddle height screws. The E screws were quite loose as the saddle was sitting flush to the bridge. I thought to myself this is a disaster waiting to happen and tightened them up to the point I felt noticeable tension. I still wish the action was a bit lower. I might need to find thinner saddles.

17. It's an argument for having a Dano as your backup. You'd never lose that chintzy piece of wood masquerading as a bridge even if you tried to.

mikewalker likes this.