Could I ask you students to sign this petition..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    There's a petition at which I would ask as many as possible of you to sign.

It is by the Finnish Union of College and University Students, and it's going to be sent to the Finnish Board of Education, and is against their presentation to limit the range and maximum length of university studies and government support to university students.

It might very well concern you, if you ever plan to become an exchange student, or someone in your family does.

Here's the roadmap:

"Nimi" = name(first and last),
    "Kotipaikka" = place of origin,
    "Ammatti/arvo" = profession/rank(student is enough, or your degree for you already graduated)
    "Sähköposti" = email(for information letters on the subject in Finnish, not required)

There's the number of signatures below the field, and the link "Tarkastele allekirjottaneita" goes to view the signatures.

Thanks for your help, most appriciated, and of course you can sign even if you aren't a student :bassist:

I hope this is according to the forum rules.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'd be happy to sign it, but neither of the above apply to me now, or in the future. Sorry bro.

3. I signed, I don't intend on becoming an exchange student to Finland or know any one who does, but that's just plain unfair! Does "Opiskelija" mean student? Damn, I'm the only one in the guestbook from somewhere I can pronounce!

Edit: Wow that thing's getting filled up fast, 6 people signed within a minute of me! Looks like someone might have to take notice of ye! Good luck!
  4. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Signed. I've always wanted to go to Finland.
  5. Signed. What exactly is this for?
  6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, the Board is looking into limiting secondary subject choices and graduating time for universities to speed up the graduation process. There have been talks that you only could study certain amount of credits and such, and that you'd have to be out from the univ in less than seven years, which would of course put more pressure to the students as most have to work at some point of their academic years.

Of course we the students feel that this is certainly not going to help anything, but instead you'd have to invest in student councelling and such to help people get in the work life faster.

Yup, 'opiskelija' means student, and if you see the 'xxxx yo', those guys aren't from the ghetto but university students, 'yo' signifies undergrad of certain subject, for example technology is 'tekn yo'.
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Signed, bro! ;)

Hmm I didnt understand a word... :D that was like when Apocalyptica came here, said something in Finnish we didnt understand, and the said "Sorry, I thought you would understand - because of our relation..." :D well yes we are a bit different...
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Thanks, mate :cool:

And for all you englishners, they have since added an english entry page too, might be bit easier for you guys :)

Going at 20.000 signatures, in couple of days!
  9. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London

Good luck with the petition, hopefully it'll rattle some cages at the top :)

There's actually student-concerning petitions going round in England at the mo' to avoid these additional fee's we're hearing about. They're all paper based as far as I know but anyone who gets a hold of a form should sign it (I will even though I'll be outta uni by teh time they come into play).

By the way, will they take an 'electronic' petition seriously?
  10. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, it's probably going to be printed and sent in the mail for the traditions sake, but the main thing is that the people judging the thing can see how much opposition it gets all over the internet. I highly doubt there's anyone forging any names, of course there could be a generator but..

I'd say that in Finland we are quite used to use the internet so I'd guess it would mean as much as traditional pen and paper lists to most people, but of course real signatures would be bit more impressive, if not in such great numbers.

The Student Union has 135.000 members, by the way, so it's not that it's opinion can be taken lightly in a country of 5 million people anyways.
  11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The I didnt understand a word remark was because of me being Hungarian, and the site being Finnish.. ;)