could i be turning into a one bass man!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i traded in my P-bass deluxe 6 months ago, my warwick sits on it's stand in my living room, my dan-electros are packed in their gigbags, and i lent my other basses to friends and family.

i have used ONLY my MM sterling for almost a year now. :eek:

will this cross over to my relationships with women? :eek: :eek:

i'm taking my warwick to tonights gig - the true test. i may have some basses for sale soon. :bassist:

anyone else go from lots 'o basses to just one?
  2. I'll take the 'wick ;)

thats odd...I am a 1 bass man by financial purposes :)

3. True dat osama_spears... same with me, cept I might be getting an Essex BG-205 here in a few days if I can get my parents to get it and let me work it off...its only $119!!!! And I like the sound of it too :D But hey, if anyone wants to give a bass away, I'm here ;)

~ Tyler
  4. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    I've only used my modified MIM Fender Jazz bass and its all I need right now. I'm thinking of buying a music man to fill otu the tonal range.
    Could you tell us why your MM is your choice pic from the group of basses you have? I'd really like to hear some feedback about stingrays (4 strings).
  5. Ive tried alot of basses, but i keep commin back to Fender P's. I cant help it...i love em, they are simply just me and my style i guess.
    Im not saying all the other brands ive tried are crap...some of them were damn nice, just not nice enough for me to want.
    Fender P's are the bass for me...nothing else will far... :D
  6. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I've owned many basses too but have FINALLY settled on one style of bass... It's Jazz 5's for me. I own two. I rarely have anymore than that around.
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My customized MIJ Jazz was the only bass that left the house for, oh, maybe 15 years. She's tired and really needs some fret work now, and my new Peavey Cirrus has allowed her to retire to 'house bass' status... The Jazz is what I use around the house - the Cirrus stays in her case so the strings will stay fresher for gigs and rehearsals.

My token 5 string and fretless 4 just kinda sit around like they always have...

8. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    it took me going through about 8 or 9 basses before settling down with my favorite axe,i would buy a new onw with the money i got from selling one of the others.i was on quite a bass searching kick for about 4 months or main bass is an 87 jazz special(japan)it got a bad-ass bridge and dimarzios in the P-position,3 way selector, and the micro tilt neck.and it rocks BIG TIME !:bassist: i finally got it all together because when i got it it needed alot of help,the original bridge was tarnished and so thin,and the plastic pick-up covers(not the metal ones but the little black ones right on top of the p/ups)were at one time white untill some banana head colored them in with a black marker(they were easily replaced for 3.99$),the fretts were all different heights promting me to have a frett leveling and re-crowning to as was so worth it,i now have a bass that will take me to any level i wish to achieve.when giging is the only time i play it,when practicing or at band rehearsal i bust out my Squier jazz,i cant validate using my main bass for noodling around,i would get sick if anything happened to it(damaged,stole,ETC.)and its a rare color that would be next to impossible to replace should something happen to it.:(
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    1st time i ever used used the MM was at a gig - got it the day of the show. it frightened me. it was the first time i heard ever single nuance of my playing. the bass literally cut through everything like a razor, and not being used to it it was a little unNERVEing. i had been using the Warwick until that point.

the way the bass cuts has now become something i can't live with out. it's also really growly and i like that i have a lot of control over the tones. it has the 3 way switch that has become essential for me for switching from fingers to pick, and i can get the everything out of the bass from the greatest slap tones, to the thumpiest lows. many people say they're one trick pony's and i agree only so far as they retain a certain sound that i don't believe any other bass gets. i happen to love that sound - uhh... i think they call it the MusicMan sound.

the bass also fits me well. just feels right. feels comfortable. it feels 20 pounds lighter than the warwick. i also like my action low and the neck is wicked fast. i've got a buzz here and there, but it don't bother me none....

my peaves with the other basses... the warwick is way too heavy for my jumping around purposes, can tend to get muddy, and for my playing style (I really dig in) can sometimes get clackety sounding. it is by far though the deepest sounding of my basses, and if i played with a softer touch would probably be my favorite.

the p-bass..... hmmm.... i dunno. think i'm just not a fender man. used it exclusively for a while. the machine heads sucked, had several other problems with it. the humbucking pickup was pretty thin sounding, and the overall tone of the bass just never cut it for me.

the dano's i love but because of the lipstick pickups if there's a neon light nearby in a club the buzz can be horrendous. the weather also reaks havoc on the necks cus they're kind of thin. as for sound though they can't be beat. the dano's destroyed the p-bass for clarity and punch when played side by side. sorry fender owners, but tis true. also a lot of wild tonal variations. i'm selling one of em, but i'll never get rid of the other.

dats about it.
  10. :D

I wish I could find a bass that suits all my needs. I like simplicity. I'm quite happy with my Godin 5-string right now, maybe a fretless someday.
  11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
  12. yeah ill be buying a new bass soon (either a double bass or a six string) and ive really been on a search to find the best bass for me. i have two fender jazzes and i like them, but i jsut dont think fender is for me. i really like the sounds ive heard from carvins, but other than that i really dont have any ideas as far as brands go. i prefer flatter necks (read: not fender...) and so far i just havent found that many basses that appeal to me visually (call me picky or shallow, but i want a bass that looks and sounds good!) anyways, hopefully ill be making the conversion to a one bass man soon =]
  13. I'll take a sunburst fretless J-bass from someone for 200-300
  14. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I know what you mean. My 75 reissue Jazz gets about 90 to 95% of my attention. It's just got the tone that I hear in my head.

My wifey loves her Fender P. I am sure that she feels the same way about that as I do about my J.

I really only need two basses, one is my J, the other is my Steinberger Spirit. I would actually use this bass a lot more but its on loan to my singer for songwriting purposes.

After that I like to round off my working basses with an acoustic and I am done.
  15. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    why not sell all your other basses, and buy whatever you want for your rig :)
  16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Once I played my MIA 2002 Precision in GC. That was it!. I bought it on the spot. And for once in GC, I could hear the bass rather than the LOUD overhead music.(last portion is posters only complaint about GC)
  17. can i have your dan electros?