1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could I connect my amps to my Tv to provide a huge surround sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonathan w, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Jonathan w

Jonathan w

Jul 29, 2006
    I was thinkin of gettin surround sound for my bedroom, but then I thought I already have 100w + 10w guitar amps nd 100w+ 15w bass amps, so I was wonderin if I could just plug these to the digital audio socket tht cums out of my freeview box. IF this is possible what leads would i need?

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Inactive

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I would say not simply because Home Theater amps have a THD of around .1%, and I think mono bass amps have around 10%. (I could be 100% wrong though)

3. It's entirely possible.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It is possible, but would sound awful. Try a CD deck through an amp and you'll find out why.

5. Ste_m3

Ste_m3

Mar 26, 2006
    Northwest UK
    i do this on occasion, although it requires a lot of tweaking as although most speakers are full range, the bass is obviously emphazised. your best bet would be to get somehting fitted for that purpose. although of course you can try it without wasting to much money, i dont think theres any damage you can do.

6. umm, and that would have something to do with what??? to me this doesnt even make sense. and i know what total harmonic distortion is

7. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    it is the percentage of crap sound or hissing. the smaller the percentage the better.

8. Basshole

Basshole Inactive

Jan 28, 2005
    Just get a job playing on TV.

9. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    play through headphones, add a little chorus. Will sound better.

10. Uh....you're kidding, right?
    Unless you're running your TV through a good stereo, or surround sound system, IMO it's a bad idea.
    Or you've got way too much time on your hands :D

11. yes, but it has nothing to do whether it would work or not, btw the industrial standard for measuring wattage (i.e pioneer sony..) is 10%thd

12. Do your amps have surround sound processors and/or digital audio jacks? You can plug an amp into an out from a stereo - not a speaker out mind you - but a digital out is something else entirely. Most basses are analog.

13. crispy_unknown

crispy_unknown

May 9, 2005
    I've plugged bass gear into my stereo actually, I dragged my crap peavey cab down to uni along with my rack gear. I line out from my PC's 7.1 sound card, one going to my stereo and one going to channel B on my poweramp (channel A's for the preamp) with the 150Hz crossover in. My stereo isn't eq'd at all and all I use is winamp with Izotope Ozone MP which has a great digital bass compression feature (cut off at 86Hz, low gain, medium threshold, full ratio with slowish release) as well as tube saturation, tube limiting, room simulation and parametric eq etc. Sounds pretty good. I quicky tried running my stereo line out to my poweramp and using the high out back to the stereo but it sounds better playing full range, the stereo's bass is now effectively my mid, l/m range. Easy way to blag a not entirely crap sound, by no means perfect but it gets the job done.

So yea, it is possible but if you dont have good eq and shaping (im not talking about amp eq's) or a crossover for the bass amp it would sound pretty damn aweful.

14. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    :D Ha, I do this when I am on the road, and occasionally at home. My fiance hates it, but it works. I went to radio shack and bought an AV/quarter inch adapter. Plug the AV cable into one end, and the other end into the input of your amp. I usually use an SWR Workingman's 10 combo for this purpose, but I have been know to use the Mo'Bass and Megoliath!!! Watch Star Wars with a 900w amp and an 810 hooked up and tell me it wasn't fun:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :D

15. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Jimmy crack corn and I dont care! Jimmy crack corn and I dont care!

Seriously tho, I've just used mine to play my iPOD through and it still sounded like crap.

16. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yes, but only if you play through your TV at a gig. Hey, fair is fair!

17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Fun maybe, but not all that good. Your speakers have no meaningful output below 30 Hz, where all the LFE information is on DVDs. With a subwoofer that can put out over 110dB at 25Hz you get pictures falling off walls, books falling from shelves, plaster falling from the ceiling and foundations cracking. Seriously. Musical instrument speakers just aren't designed to do that.

18. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Yes I know they weren't designed to do that, but it sounds great. We have surround sound at home, but it's fun when I'm on the road or just when I get the urge to hook up my rig. It makes my DVDs go boom. Bass players should be able to appreciate that.:hyper:

19. soniq

soniq

Apr 19, 2006
    El Dorado Hills, CA
    Funny I just did that earlier today using my Bass POD XT as pre into my surround sound system. Sounded like crap using Dolby. Stereo + sub sounded better but still distorted. The speakers were definitely not crossed over correctly for bass use. I was probably overdriving the preamp stage as well. Regardless an amp still sounds better IMO.

20. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    Sorry, took your last post as you didn't understand what THD ment.