Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could I get a cherokee translation?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 4, 2006.

1. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, just after some help here..

I'm trying to find out how 'life' is written in Cherokee/Native American.

So far, i've gathered off the net that it is said 'ga-no-du' and written in a SZS form (the first 'S' having a line through it etc).

Can anyone give me a definant answer on whether that's right or not?

Thanks.

2. Talkbass: more than a bass forum, a place to get translations in dead languages :p

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    nope, sorry, can't help you. Free bump.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do you have anything like an Office of Indian Affairs in Australia? I'm guessing not since no Indians live there. Well, not Cherokee Indians at least.

-Mike

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Is the source you got this info from not authorative or something? What's the concern that it might not be right?

6. I believe the pronunciation you have is correct (allowing of course for an Aussie accent) and I believe the symbols are also correct. The problem with attempting to write in Cherokee is that the language uses a syllabary and not an alphabet. So each symbol represents a syllable. Also when Sequoyah invented the syllabary he used European newspapers for font examples, but he could not read a European language, so the symbols are familiar, but completely unrelated to their European counterparts. You could probably find some authoritative help by logging onto the website for Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, Oklahoma (USA of course). http://www.nsuok.edu/ This was originally Tahlequah College which was the college of the Cherokee nation and where my mother went in the 1930s, despite being Choctaw instead of Cherokee. In any case I would think that Cherokee is probably still taught there. You might also check out the "Cherokee Phoenix and Indian Advocate" newspaper which is published in Tahlequah, Oklahoma in Cherokee and has been in continuous publication since the 1820s in various locations due to the "ethnic cleansing" policies of the US government. You might also check www.cherokee.org which is the official website of the Cherokee nation. And no Alex, the language is not dead yet. Just who were Will Rogers and Wiley Post?

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, fair enough.

Thanks for the help Aaron.
    Lambo - It was off the net.. lol, where alot of things are wrong :p

Hmm. Well the thing is, a friend of mine is getting a Native American symbol sort of thing tatoo'd on his forearm. He got a like carved sort of thing of it when he went over there about 10 years ago and went and saw all this native american stuff.. Under this tatoo he wants to get 'life' put in, as it relates to the symbol in some way.

I can't remember what tribe/language he said, but i'm pretty sure it was in Cherokee.. Seems this will be harder to figure out then i thought, lol.

Cheers.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I will have a definitive answer for you on Monday.

-Mike

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Thankyou muchly :)

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My great grandmother was full blood Choctaw and I know essentially nothing abuot that portiion of my heritage. I have been wondering what resources would be best to try to track that down.

I don't even know what Grannies whole name was. The consensus seems to be she was an 'Angie', but nobody is sure how she got to be 'Angie.' Her daughter and son in law were always 'Luke' and 'Elaine' until I read the obituaries for them. I said "Who is Florence Roy? And why does she look like Granny from fifteen years ago?" It was because Florence was her real first name and the picture was fifteen years old. I didn't find out Grampa was 'William Luther Roy' until after he was dead, either.Noone knows how 'Luther' got turned into 'Luke'. So I'm not positive on Grannies real name at this point.