1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could i get a rundown on what all things and buttons etc do on the tribute l2500?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Demon, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Im getting one today, and i really have no clue what everything will do etc, all the knobs. So could anyone tell me what they each do, etc? Just so i get a feel of how to get certain tones:) Ill experiment myself ofcourse, once i get to open it, but itd be nice to get a basic rundown of all its capabilities:)

Also, do you think ill need to set it up before its playable?

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    As far as setup goes that'll have to be your call. I've heard they come pretty well set up, but if not G&L's IMO are one of the easiest basses to do a set up on. The set up instructions are in the manual.:cool:

3. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    G&L's website has a schematic. http://www.glguitars.com
    CLick on "support" in the left hand menu, then scroll down to "Technical Schematics and Wiring Diagrams." Then scroll down to "Basses" and click on the first selection, "ASAT_bass_L2000_L2500" and that will call up a PDF of the knob/switch functions.

You'll find that, once you are familiar with them, getting the sounds out of a G&L is very fast and intuitive.

4. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Thanks guys. Any advice on how i can get a tone that cuts through very well? And if possible, with passive setup, cos id rather not drain battery.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    IMO bridge pickup series will get you cutting mids while still thumping lows. All setting will cut through pretty good though because , that's what G&L's do.

6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The cutting tone will have alot to do with the rest of your band- I find that the neck pickup soloed cuts much better for me, but my guitar players both have pretty deep midrangey tones- the deep bass of the neck pickup really fills out the space better (and blends well with the kick drum as well).

Karl

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Thanks guys. You were both right with the neck pickup! Cuts through great now:)

8. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Any idea on how fast itll take before battery needs replacing? (can it be charged)? And can anyone tell me when the battery does run and doesnt (like, if the active is on, but its unplugged, does it drain? or if active is off but its plugged?)

9. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    I never did testing on a Tribby but USA G&L's the battery is not drained if unplugged.

The drain rate, the battery would last about a year of non stop use. I tested 3 L2k's and an El Toro and all are about the same.

Tributes may vary.

Jim

10. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So i shouldnt need to worry about running out of it soon and having to use it sparefully?

11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    To see if the battery drains when the bass is not plugged in: open up the control cavity and look at the ouput jack- if there are three prongs on the jack with 3 wires attached seperately, then the battery is only in the circuit when there is a cord plugged in (so the battery will not drain unless plugged in). If there are only 2 prongs on the output jack, then the battery is in the circuit all the time- I'm almost positive that this is not the case, as it would be ridiculous!

Karl

12. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    The Climax bass was that way. It would suck the battery down in about 3-4 months plugged in or not.

The preamp in that pulled about 4 times as much current as well.

Jim

13. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Thanks again guys. Sadly, even after mixing around with settings, my tone is still a bit dull. Howd i go about giving it more "colour" if you know what i mean? It just feels kinda dead when i finger, especially A,E and B string. Amp settings would help too. Dont think its the strings. They have a new feel to them.
    Edit: I did some more knob twisting and it now sounds a bit more colourful and punchy.

14. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Somebody calculated the current drain and estimated a new battery would last 13 months. There's no downside to using active, since you can always switch to passive if the battery goes out.

15. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If it sounds "dull", change the strings no matter how they feel. Dull should be the opposite of this bass, I have a lot more trouble toning it down than anything else.

16. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Hm, i did some more radical changes as turning the bass all way down and treble and mid highs up, and it soudns like a guitar:) Atleast iknow i should have the bass low on the amp to get a more expresive tone. Meh, it tires my mind just thinking about all the different sound combinations. I can get a sound like David Ellefson, as in Megadeth at the moment (if i use a pick). Now ive turned every knob way down till i figure out what to do.
    Is there anyway to figure out how to get certain tones without spending hour after hour bent over turning knobs:/?
    It really is frustrating after saving up so much for the amp and bass.

17. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Set the amp flat, and then go through what the bass will give you with all the combinations.

The L2K is nothing compared to like a Lakland with twice as many controls IMHO.

For me I like a Geddy Lee Wal type sound so I use both pickups, series, and the bass knob rolled almost to nothing.

Jim

18. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    If i posted a youtube vid, do you think someone could tell me how to roughly get that tone? Even if its not the most audible bass (in a metal band ex)?