Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could I get an unlined MIM Fender fretless???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlapper, May 2, 2002.

1. jblake

jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
    Nope. None of Fender's fretlesses are unlined. Best bet is to get a used MIM J and slap a Warmoth or USA Custom neck on it.

2. EDIT: D'oh, I wasn't fast enough. Read the other reply after I submitted mine that read:

"ASFAIK they don't. Sorry.
    But, you could always buy one and fit it with an aftermarket neck, like a Warmoth or Mighty Mite. And, as a bonus, get almost any fingerboard wood you like."

Which is exactly what the other poster said.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    MIJ fretless comes unlined.
    Doc

4. There are used MIJ (unlined) fretless J-Basses all over the place for ~$300. Look in the Harmony-Central classifieds.

5. I didn't think of that. MIJ:s do come with unlined fret boards, get a used one of those instead. It'll be cheaper than buying a MIM + a new neck (you could also order a new MIJ Jazz from Japan, but I suspect that the shipping might be quite expensive, hence it might not be such a good deal as buying one used), and some people will argue that the old MIJ:s are way better than the new MIM, or even MIA basses. I can't speak for MIJ Fenders in general, but my '84 MIJ Squier P is a wonderful instrument. And the Fenders made in that same country seems to be of equal quality. But, then again, I've also liked the fretless MIM jazzes I've tried. They're way nicer than their fretted siblings, since they're not haunted by the crappy fretwork executed in Fender's Mexican plant.

6. Over the years, I've owned 2 MIJ fretless Jazz Basses, 2 MIJ 50's reissue hardtail Strats and a MIJ Standard P-Bass and nobody is going to convince me that the MIA Fender instruments are better. They MIJ's were all excellent in every respect.

7. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Yeah, MIM, MIJ, MIA, MIC (made in china:D), they are all good Fenders;).
    You can find a nice used precission (unlined) from the 70's. I love their unlined maple necks.

8. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Seek out a MIJ Jazz fretless. They are great instruments, orders of magnitude better than the current MIM Jazz fretless (also, they were more expensive when new than the current MIMs).

9. Dr. Six String.... I have a "77" all original Fender Fretless maple maple unlined board with clear natural finish body. It looks so SAweeet!!! I also have a MIJ Fender A/E Deluxe fretless that is the sweetest bass I own. I also have a MIJ fretless jazz. These are also really SWEEET!!!! :D AH. I forgot what your question was? Oh yeah . No! There is no good reason why Fender MIA And MIM couldn't make some without lines. Losers! Your best bet is to find a used fretless MIJ jazz. Good luck.[​IMG]