Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could I get away with this poweramp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 21, 2005.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im on a, more than tight, budget and need a poweramp. I had a Gibson GB440 (like Thunderfunk) 400W, and that was more than enough. Now I have bought an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp and need a poweramp that can give me the same volume as the GB440. Im gonna drive either one or two 8 ohm cabs.
    So could the Behringer Reference amplifier A500 do this?
    It is lightweight and shallow (10,85") so I can carry it in a shallow rack bag.
    I will probably get a QSC PLX when I can afford but could I get by with this one in the mean time?
    http://www.behringer.com/A500/index.cfm?lang=ENG

2. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I would go with 2x500W on 4ohms at least. I think 2x230 BW (behringer watts) will have clipping problems on louder gigs... I have changed my Hafler (2x200W) with QSC plx 2402 and now have headroom I want.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I would cet a QSC PLX if I could afford one. :(
    But wouldn´t the Behringer A500 be as loud as a Behringer BX4500H head? Those are the only 4-500W amps within my budget at the moment.
    Would it be best to get the A500 or the BX4500H and plug my Ampeg pre into it´s effect return?

At the moment I play on a borrowed 200W 1x15 combo with no problems being heard at rehersals.

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Check carvin's site. They've got a sale running on their HD series poweramps.

You'll get a lot more power for only slightly more money...I plan buying their HD1800 very soon

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    If I lived in the US it wouldn´t be a problem. You get all the great deals over there. But here in Sweden you can´t get a new Carvin poweramp for less than $600. :scowl:

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Do you still have the Gibson 440? You could plug it into the effects return. If not, why on earth did you sell it?!?!
    I'd stay away from Behringer.
    Check out eBay.de for used Crown and Crest power amps. Some good deals come along, and those amps are built to last, while they also sound great.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I sold the GB440 and got a SVP-CL instead. Id like to get a poweramp for the rest of the money I got for that deal.
    I guess I´ll have to stay cool and watch the used market for a while. But it´s really frustrating to have a nice new preamp and cab but no poweramp...GAS!

8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    ah...I hadn't taken note of your location