Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could I get away with this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drumming Puggy, Oct 18, 2004.

1. I have a 400 Watt amp and speaker setup I used for mobile discos.

I am only using a 15 watt practice amp on my bass at home.

Is there a sort of pre-amp I could use on the power amp so I could use it to jam with my mates.

I understand it wont sound as good compared to a proper bass amp but is there anything I could get just to mess about on?

The speakers are a pair of 1X15 and a horn.

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Get a preamp or bass head and use the preamp out to go to the input of your power amp. You could also use the speaker out on a bass head to power one of your PA speakers.

3. A Sansamp Bass Driver DI is a popular choice in your situation. You could also run an Alembic bass, which has a line-level output, directly into the power amp which would make a nice but untweakable noise.

4. If you are looking for a cheap option, you could try feeding the headphone output of your practice amp into the line input of your disco system. Start with a standard instrument lead, and all the volumes set to zero, turn the 400 W amp up to say 20%, then turn the practice amp up slowly, and check for overload distortion. If you get no signal at all, you will probably need to get a stereo headphone jack, and connect it to a mono input jack, then try again.
    It's cheaper than buying hardware if you don't know how long you plan to use it for.