1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could I get away with this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Drumming Puggy, Oct 18, 2004.

1. I have a 400 Watt amp and speaker setup I used for mobile discos.

I am only using a 15 watt practice amp on my bass at home.

Is there a sort of pre-amp I could use on the power amp so I could use it to jam with my mates.

I understand it wont sound as good compared to a proper bass amp but is there anything I could get just to mess about on?

The speakers are a pair of 1X15 and a horn.

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Get a preamp or bass head and use the preamp out to go to the input of your power amp. You could also use the speaker out on a bass head to power one of your PA speakers.

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    A Sansamp Bass Driver DI is a popular choice in your situation. You could also run an Alembic bass, which has a line-level output, directly into the power amp which would make a nice but untweakable noise.

4. If you are looking for a cheap option, you could try feeding the headphone output of your practice amp into the line input of your disco system. Start with a standard instrument lead, and all the volumes set to zero, turn the 400 W amp up to say 20%, then turn the practice amp up slowly, and check for overload distortion. If you get no signal at all, you will probably need to get a stereo headphone jack, and connect it to a mono input jack, then try again.
    It's cheaper than buying hardware if you don't know how long you plan to use it for.