Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could I have damaged my cab doing this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cpach, Mar 3, 2006.

1. cpach

cpach

Feb 28, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Okay, so my new Avatar B212 Neo came in today. I unpack the thing, and excited to play it, plug my Eden WT-300 and bass in. What I got was fuzzy, distorted, and quiet. I then noticed that there was tape blocking the ports. I removed the tape and it still sounded distorted and quiet.

Could I have damaged the cab playing with the ports blocked, even for a short time at low volume? Trying to play the cab now results in a quiet, distorted sound, but despite this, my head gets hot enough to run the fan.

I also tested my head, into the speaker of a guitar amp. I did this quietly as to not blow it, but it was clear that the amp is working.

Help? I'm guessing the cab was bad when it got here, and I have a return on my hands.

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Not likely.

Sounds like the speakers are wired out of phase. It's not that unusual, and it's easy to fix. Call Avatar and Dave could walk you thru it.

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    The wiring in my Avatar B212 Delta LF was goofed up when I got mine too. If your good with a soldering gun, do it yourself, so you know it's right. I'll bet there's a connection touching another right at the jack plate, causing it to overdrive the head. Could wreck your head, if not taken care of right away.