Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

could i have melted something?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kaboom133, Oct 19, 2003.

1. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    I was doing some tinkering with my bass, and a wire broke off of my quarter-pounder p-bass p/u. My younger brother (who usually handles things such as this), soldered it back on. I restrung the bass, plugged it in, and .... no sound. My brother said soldering the wire onto the pickup could have melted the insulation on the wire inside the pickup(the wire wrapped around and around...). He said this would make it short out. This theory sounds alright to me. He knows what he is talking about for the most part with this stuff. I checked and double checked all of the solders, nothing seems wrong. Could this happen, or is there anything else that could have happened that you guys know of? If so, what should i do to fix the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    First thing to do is determine the actual problem. Measure the resistance of the pickup. If it is 0, then you have a short. If it is infinite, then you have an open circuit.

Do these pickups have removeable covers? If these pickups are epoxied into the cover, then there is nothing that can be done if they have in internal short.

BTW, if your brother melted the insulation while soldering, then his skills as a electonics technician are lacking. There is no reason to heat the pickup to the point of destroying it.