1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could I have more gear than necessary?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyRob813, Sep 9, 2008.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    I just started my college music education a few days ago. I'm a music performance major, and I plan to play out as much as possible.

After being here for a few weeks, I noticed that almost all the bands I've seen so far have played through high wattage combo amps, or only a small, lightweight head through a single 2x10 or 4x10 at the most.

The last time I was in a band that played out, it was a HEAVY metal band, and we all played through full stacks cranked to 11. I'm currently played an ampeg classic series head through an ampeg 4x10 and a GK 2x10. This rig is waaay more than anyone seems to use around here. In addition to that, I realized that I now live on the fourth floor of my building, and I have no car to lug it all around.

Would you suggest I...

A: Sell my head and 4x10 or 2x10, get a more lightweight head, and play it through just one of the cabinets...

B: Sell it all and get a small but high powered combo, or...

C: A different suggestion?

(Also I should mention that I'll mostly be playing small to medium sized venues, and the amp will more than likely be miced, or lined out.)

Thanks!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No. Just use your head and the 210 or maybe get a lightweight head. Keep the rest 'til you graduate.

3. Thunderthumbs73

Thunderthumbs73

May 5, 2008
    No car + four stories of stairs = smallest and lightest decent rig possible, IMO. And the mention of amp being mic-ed or DI-ed absolutely seals that deal, IMO. It may mean option A, depending on the size/weight of all the items, or perhaps B.

While I'm sure you're probably not happy about selling gear, it is great that you realize environmental, financial and performance/music-related factors that are important. I tend to think not that you have too much amp/gear, but simply that what you have now doesn't fit your situation, and that there may be better choices in line with those realities.

Congrats on school and performance-oriented focus. The college days as a music major were some of the best I ever had. Live it up!

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Depends on the music being played. If you still want to play heavy music, keep the big set up. If you want to play smooth jazz with the other music majors get a combo ;).

Kidding aside, it's a tough choice. It was always a pain to move gear last year when I was at school being a music major. I dropped it (wasn't my cup of tea) and live off campus now, and moving gear is a lot easier. I don't even know how to face not having a car. That pretty much limits you to taking everything in one load. Throw a bass on your back, and get the biggest combo you can carry? Or if your dorm has an elevator, put casters on one of the cabs, and just roll it. Might not be easy over long distances though.

Just make friends with people who have cars or get a cab. It's worth going through some extra effort to keep gear you like, IMO.

5. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    No.

Not even possible.

6. sobie18

sobie18

May 5, 2002
    Shaw AFB, SC
    Keep it.

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I never had any gear like that when I first got to school, but one of the first purchases I made when I got there was my SWR Workingman's 12... I still have it to this day!

I would advise, if possible, leaving the big rigs at home and getting a small combo for school. OR, get a small head (Eden WT260 or MarkBass perhaps) and use the 2x10. Most importantly, head to a home improvement store and get a nice, sturdy hand truck to haul things. Made my life a lot easier. If you want to go all-combo, look for an Eden Metro combo.... big wattage in a versatile 2x10 combo.

8. Exactly what I was thinking. Keep everything and use the smallest rig you can. You never get enough money in a sale to pay for replacing gear down the road when you decide you need more gear.

9. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    If you can get a good price, sell the gear. It'll make life easier and you'll have extra cash for college expenses. You can always buy the stuff back later. Besides one bass and one guitar, I've never regretted selling anything. They are just tools. That said, if you have the $$ and a place to keep (some?) of the stuff (parents house?), keep a few pieces.

10. Broadbent

Broadbent

Mar 28, 2007
    Keep your gear. Bring what you need when you need it based on the gig.

11. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    I don't know about you, but personally I develop a love for even my worst stuff, which is probably why I end up to inadvertently hanging on to so much random crap. I would recommend hanging on to it, you may need it in the future or something

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I use a 2x10 for smaller gigs, a 4x10 for medium and both for large gigs. It is nice to have options. Keep 'em!

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Keep what you have, add a small, lightweight combo.

14. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I would think we should first establish what is just enough gear before too much can actually be defined.

IMG_1037-1.
    IMG_0001.

15. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    but it IS modular

16. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'd sell the amp and replace it with a LMII or Shuttle 6. Keep your cabs and put your 410 in storage at your parents and use your 210.

With a small head and a 210 you'll have everything you need. But do also buy a good quality folding cart with big wheels. If you dont have a car that will make your life ALOT easier. I went carless while playing bass and couldnt have done it without the cart.