Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

could i play through SUBWOOFERS???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bharris057, Jul 24, 2001.

1. bharris057

bharris057

Jul 24, 2001
    I was wondering if i could use 2 12-inch soundstream subwoofers in my rig.
    i was thinking of hooking them up to the balanced line out on my ampeg 50 watt Rocket bass amp, and then running the signal into a power amp of some sort and from there into the 2x12 subwoofer box would this work or would it not give me a good sound. I will also use a 80 watt peavey 15".
    i want the subs because i have a 5-string and would like some extra low-end. =)
    --This would be used in a band with 2-guitarists, 1-voaclist, 1-keyboardist, and 2-drummers (yes, as in two drumsets being played by two people at the same time.)

brenton
    www.wormband.cjb.net

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I wouldn't recommend it.

3. Why not? :D

I run a pair of Rockford 15" subs, and an optional pair of Rockford 10" subs. I believe John Turner runs a pair of subs and a 4x12 in his rig.

Understand that subwoofers are all done by 100 Hz. and you will need something else to handle the range from 100 Hz and higher. You cannot run just the subs by themselves because they will sound dead and lifeless without the high frequency content.

If you are adding subs to an existing full range system, they will run just fine. You will have to take steps to balance them with the rest of the system. I bi-amp my subs and have full control over both the crossover point and the individual loudness for each range.

True subwoofers are very power hungry and you will need significant amplifier power to drive them as loud as the other components of your rig.

4. Hey, I use an old ( 28 years) Mitchell 18" PA sub cabinet in my rig. I use an ART nightbass to bi-amp and a Peavey CS-200 (200 watts, single channel) to power lows, and a Roland DB-500 for all mids/highs
    works well. lotsa balacingg though
    big ass cabinet too. lotsa hauling.
    If anyone ois interested, I'm selling the whole rig...either as one, if interested, or peicemeal on ebay.
    Roland DB-500
    Mitchell 18"cab
    Peavey CS200
    ART nightbass multiFX w/ X-15 pedal and snake
    Korg G5 bass synth

really nice, if odd rig. Email:
    DemanICQ@ICQMail.com
    Pass this on.

5. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I actually own a Sony SA-W40 home theatre subwoofer (12" speaker, 120 watts). I've plugged into its line in just for kicks to see how it sounds. Well, I cranked the crossover to max (180 Hz) and it wasn't to bad. Since I don't have an active bass I ended up having to crank up the subwoofer volume, but overall the sound was really nice - I really love the low end that it puts out. But then again, I'm the type of person who plays over the neck pickup on my bass, cuts all of the trebles on my bass, and cuts the trebles on my amp (which is a 15" combo with no tweeter); so as you can see, I'm no high-frequency junkie! :)

6. I switched the 15" driver in my SWR WM15 from the old PAS to a HiFonics 15" sub I had in my truck (8ohms, 350w handling) - worked an absolute treat, no more speaker breakup.

I've also been running (occasionally) an old 50w tube head into a pair of 1x10" rockford/fosgate subs (previously in the truck), and that's been tight and low as well.

But, as soon as I ran the same head into the HiFonics in it's unported cabinet (actually it's how the sub is designed to be used), it farts and burps with no real volume. Makes sense though, I was probably digging in way too hard to make up for the lack of volume.

People are right about power handling - alot of good subs need some decent power to get them moving. But I dunno about the frequency rolloff over 100Hz...i've never felt that I lost any mid/treble with sub speakers.

As soon as I get off my arse i'll be putting the R/F 10's into a lightweight 2x10 cabinet for smaller gigs.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Look at warwick cabs they have one just up your alley! So does myers but wow they are hi!

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i run yamaha subs, 1x18" , along with my 4x12" cabs. works great, but are power hogs

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Ditto for me too John, but I run 2 with 410's on top. But power is the key, I use a Crown Powerbase3 for each of the bottom cabs(@ 4ohms each) and a Powerbase2 for the top.

Mike

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep that would cover the power requirements, alright. :D

how much do those crown pb3's weigh?

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey John you ever tried the myers stuff before? All they build is self powerd sub type cabs for bass! They are so awsome sounding but you would have to sell your left nut to get one! Should check them out!

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    do they have an internet presence anywhere? i mean, that left nut has just been getting in my way anyway :D

13. I use a QSC MX-3000a to power my subs, and it weighs 69 pounds. Yuck. I'm going to replace it with a QSC PLX 3402 that weighs 21 pounds.

14. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    If I am not mistaken they tip the scales at about 48lbs each. Thank God for racks on wheels and strong backed roadies.

Mike

15. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    So letsee - you grab a 408-volt 3-phase, run it into a motor-generator set to convert it to 120v 1-phase so you can get all 60 amps you might need? Or do you simply plug it into the 240-volt range outlet and set the power amps for 240-volt operation? ;)

Seriously - I've long since abandoned the idea of having that kind of megawattage, knowing that the typical circuit available to me was 120v/15 amps (optimistically). Don't you see all the lights dim when you crank it up? Blow breakers?? What's your secret?

- Mike

16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    do they have an internet presence anywhere? i mean, that left nut has just been getting in my way anyway

Yeah dude sorry i didnt spell it correctly! Here is the sight!http://www.meyersound.com/

Man this stuff sounds so awsome! I had a chance to mess with some of it down in Branson missouri!
    Its just so power full!

17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I was wondering about that too. Like all those people who have 3000 watt rigs. I noticed in the Carvin catalog that their 4000 watt amp has one of those plugs that washing machines have. That's fine if you're playing next to the washing machine but realistically I don't know of many places that have that kind of power hookup.

18. I was offered 2x12's because i want to add another speaker cab to my 4x10 rig. I turned them down because i assumed 12's gave a brighter, more high end sound. And Because 4x10's give such a nice well rounded and balanced sound, i wouldn't want more top end. So now i am looking for either a 15" or and 18" to give that phat low end.

:D:D

Merls

19. Interesting, as I am in the process of moving away from my 15" subs in favor of a pair of 2x10 subs stacked as a 4x10, with a 2x10 JBL E110 pair on top for the highs.

This move for me is just for load lightening purposes, as the 10's I'm using will still get me down flat to 31 Hz, but in much smaller cabinets. Using four 10" drivers is much more expensive and -2dB quieter than 2x15, but easier to carry.

20. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yes, the new Carvin amp has a NEMA 30-amp plug. If it hadn't, I'd sure be suspicious. In my limited gigging experience, I found it a real challenge, more times than not, to find enough power on stage to adequately feed my rig (Carvin R1000) without starving the smaller guitar amps, voltage-wise. After reaching what I thought should be enough power for most gigs (if I hooked up both the R1000 with my R600), I decided that any further loudness would have to come from more speaker efficiency.

Unless the stage were really well-wired for good amperage, the only other realistic option would be to get power from where the house sound guys get it - probably a 240-volt circuit somewhere. But still, there are places where this just doesn't present itself as an option. Play a function at someone's house, and sometimes you unplug their microwave oven and feed the entire band - plus your PA - from that one outlet! Been there. Yuck! Seems like in most places I've ever played, stage power is an afterthought (or not even that!). I've played at clubs hosting live music many times a week whose stage power is maybe one outlet up on the ceiling with a wide-screen TV plugged in! It is very frustrating to me.

- Mike