Could I plug an amp into any cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alyosha09, Feb 5, 2001.

1. Alyosha09

Jun 16, 2000
    If I had an amp, could I plug it into ANY cabinet of speaker in its watt range? I mean like if I had a PA cabinet of a 15", could it work?
  2. I'm not sure I understand your question. If you mean amp as in head, then yes, you can plug it into a bass cabinet, but not a guitar cabinet. Also, it takes a certain wattage to drive a cabinet, not having enough wattage, and you won't be able to drive the cabinet.
  3. Pa speakers work well with basses but their tonality is different. I use three way 15" cabinets but use some speaker modeling on some patches to get a sound. If you play on a large pa your bass will go through PA speakers and tge sound will be what the sound man mixes. Carvin uses the same speakers in some of there sound cabinets and bass cabinets. but the cabinet design is different.
  4. JimmyThePlumberMan

Feb 4, 2001
    Thats not all. You could run a 8x15 with 50w if you really wanted to. It wouldnt make much GOOD sound, and it wouldnt be very efficient, but you could do it. Just because you arent running 200w into a 200 w speaker cab doesnt mean it wont work.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    And you *can* use guitar cabinets as well, but the speakers made for guitar are not made for bass (duh!). Only recommended on low volumes, or if you want a lot of distortion...