could i trouble you for a few pointers??

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Aug 21, 2001.

1. hey i just wanted ta say i agree with the whole "lesson vs equipment" thing. i have, well i wouldnt say crappy equipment but it aint exactly amazing either. but it'll do sorta thing. it works, and i love it all the same. for example i dont even own a bass amp, i just plug my bass into a regular guitar amp. i figured no point spending loads of money on equipment if i had no clue how to use step one is lessons!

the when i can play at a reasonable standard i will probly get a job and treat myself to a nice 5 stringer and a bass amp or sumthing.

well anyway i was wondering what would you all recommend a beginner to do/learn just before getting lessons? (books/websites??) is there anything i can learn on my own at this point before spending loads of $£$£$ on lessons. not alotta point wasting my first few lessons on stuff i could figure out on my own.

in addition to this. i have two guitarist friends and a drummer friend. we all hang out and we want to start a band. naturally bass playing has fell to me because 1. i wanted to so bad because its my favourite instrument and i love the sound of it, 2. bass players are hard to come by down my neck of the woods and we need one! there all real patient with me but we want to start writing stuff. i know, its a case of running before walking. but all im asking for is a few pointers of making my own bass lines that we could work with and build on.

much love and respect

2. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    There's an online tutorial at

Book 1 contains the mechanics of bass

Book 2 looks at composition and theory

Book 3 looks at application

This, IMO, is the best instruction you can get without getting lessons. Best of all, it's free! And it's certainly better than any book you could pay for.

Aside from that, try and get your friends to start brainstorming ideas for songs and get them to run a few riffs by you. Even if you can't compose, hearing what other people have written will take your musicianship along in leaps and bounds, and you should be able to fit your playing around other people's writing for the time being.

Last of all, welcome and have fun. :)
  3. thanx alot man!!

that book u mentioned is amazing!!!

its everything i need!

thank you so've really helped me alot, more than you can imagine.

thanx agen

4. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Well that just made my day.

And you're perfectly welcome. :)
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I know you're not trying to be gear focused, but in all likelihood you are gonna trash the speakers in the guitar amp unless you play at LOW volumes.

Learning how to play is more important than gear, but decent gear will also inspire you to play more.