1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Could I use this wireless for bass?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by chatterbox272, Jul 6, 2012.

1. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    I came across this in my local Jaycar (Jaycar is essentially the Aussie equivalent of Radio Shack or so I'm told). It's supposed to be for mics but I was wondering whether it's likely to be useable for bass. I don't need it to be perfect, hifi quality but I don't want it to sound like crap either. I want to use it for rehearsals mostly so I don't have to keep dealing with the 10000000000000000 leads we have around the place. Incase it's important I play a Yamaha RBX375 (Active, dual humbuckers), going into a Digitech BP355 multieffects. My amp is an Ashton BA15, I have a Fender Rumble 350 on order, and I also play through a Behringer BXL900 and BXL3000 on a semi-regular basis.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    VHS frequencies are a little open worldwide. FTC sold a lot of this bandwidth a couple of years ago. The VHS systems may not be legal for use everywhere. And since it's analog it is open to interference and noise.

Overall, lifetime investment in a Line-6 digital is a good safe bet. They use the same frequency as wireless computing and negotiate with other devices for their channel. Just like your neighbors wireless internet, or phones don't interfere with yours. (At least not around here)

These digital systems also are getting good reviews but I don't know if they're available in your part of the world
    http://www.widigitalsystems.com/

3. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Legality is a non-issue for me. I'll make sure it's legal if/when I purchase it, and seeing as I only plan on using it at rehearsals I don't need to worry about it being legal anywhere else.

What kind of things are likely to produce interference? We practice in a spare house I have so there's not much there. Also how loud is the interference likely to be? could I just kill it with the noise gate on my BP355?

I would get a Line 6 but I don't have a job (I'm still in high school) and only just bought my amp. So I don't really have a way to attain the ~$400 for even the G30.

4. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Wireless is cool and all but it only saves 1 cable from getting stepped on.

In terms of interference you won't know until you try it. Shortwave radio signals including police & emergency bands, cell phone towers, terrestrial radio stations and a myriad of other things can interfere with old VHF wireless systems. Also if the system is not dual diversity you will have to worry about signal dropouts between the transmitter and receiver which are fairly common. And if all that isn't enough, analog wireless units have limited frequency response so you will lose most everything below 100Hz and anything above 10kHz. Better analog systems go as low as 60Hz and as high as 16kHz but that's the very best analog companding circuits can offer. Digital is vastly superior in that regard.

So bottom line: it's not going to sound as good as you want it to and there's a chance that it won't even be usable. So it's your choice whether to spend the money on the experiment or start saving every spare nickel and birthday money until you can get something that you'll be happy with.

In the meantime cables are your friend. Good luck and keep playing!

5. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Well this one supposedly can take 2 signals so would save me one lead and our main vocalist too, which are the main ones to worry because mine is excessively long for the space we have and the vocalist likes to walk and his lead gets tangled on my mic stand.

Seeing as I live rather close to a phone tower and a major power line maybe the interference might be a problem. Could probably noise gate it away but it's probably not worth the trouble.

The frequency thing will almost definitely be a pain though, so I'm thinking no. Is there such a thing as cheap useable wireless? or am I just going to have to wait until after exams when I can go get a job?

6. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The problem is that there's no way to guarantee it will work for you or your vocalist. It might be ok, it might not. See if the singer will pay for half...:smug:

7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Better to save your money and learn cable discipline IMHO.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    From the description I can't even tell if there's a pack to plug in an instrument.

9. junkman

junkman

May 12, 2012
    I have a line 6 and love it, didn't realize how liberating it would be.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-relay-g50-digital-wireless-guitar-system?src=3WFRWXX
    The main reason I bought a line 6 is it is digital, which has benefits, and the frequency response. I also play 5 strings, In standard tuning your primary frequency of your low B is right around 29Hz. The issue I see is the unit your thinking about has a Frequency response of 60Hz-15KHz. I have never played a bass with a cutoff around 60Hz but I don't imagine I would like it. Just my two cents. Cheers!

10. This wireless unit has no transmitter for a bass. The transmitters are built into the microphones. Better off looking for something more suitable on eBay.

11. chatterbox272

chatterbox272

Apr 12, 2012
    Don't think so, I'm pretty sure they use these (and if not then I'd get one of these as well).

The problem is that if I'm lucky, and I do a bit of dealing with the store I MIGHT be able to get a G30 for the price of that G50 you linked to. So I have the option of ~$70 vs ~$400, and when you're short on cash $70 is much more appealing.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to find a better way to deal with all the cables I have.