Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

could it b my EQ thats making my high notes quieter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fishbrain, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    when i play any of my basses the low notes are way louder than the high notes. I've tried altering the pickups and that didnt work. I just got my new warwick and tried it in the shop and it was fine but when i got it home i couldnt hear the high notes as well as the low notes, so i know its not my basses.
    I have a peavey 165w TNT combo amp with a smily face EQ. any thoughts

2. IIRC, your amp has only a 15 inch speaker. That is probably your problem. Don't fight against your speaker's strengths. Also try to get away from a smiley face eq, its hard to cut through the mix like that, it takes A LOT more watts with that setup to be heard.

3. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes. I suppose it's the smiley face EQ.
    Critical for higher notes (and also for cutting through the mix) is the frequency range from about 700 to 1500 Hz. If you attenuate this range too much you get lost.
    Why don't you just play around with your EQ to solve the problem? That's what the EQ is for...

Matthias

4. Step 1: Set EQ Flat
    Step 2: Try how it sounds
    Step 3: If unhappy with sound try small adjustments to eq

5. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    so would it help if I had like a 4x10 or somethin but with a / type EQ?

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    no try a --------- shaped eq. you might be shocked at the results.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just to be sure, it wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure it's not your bass. Try another bass through the amp and see if you still have the same problem.

What I'm thinking is that the pickups might be due for a little adjustment...

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't think that the 15" speaker causes this problem. Generations of bass players have been and still are using 15s without tweeters with good results. Before spending any money you should really try different EQ-settings.
    You should also be aware of the fact, that your bass will sound different in the band mix than while playing alone. You will have to adapt your EQ-settings again. But that's not too difficult as soon as you have a feeling for the effect of each slider.

Matthias

9. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    i know its not my bass because I just got it brand new and i tried it in the shop and it was fine. I tried doin the pups on my other basses but it didnt help much and my basses work fine thru my m8s amp

i did buy the amp second hand if that means anythin...

10. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    A smiley face EQ has the potential of killing the high notes, making them sound really thin. Try the flat EQ. You might not like the way it sounds on its own, but put some guitars and drums in the equation and you may be surprised at how much more authority you have.

11. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool