Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could it be my patch cord?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BillyBishop, Mar 12, 2001.

1. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Well Im havin' a wee bit of a problem. Anyways at first I thought it was my bass but my guitar does it too. Whenever you touch something metal on my guitar or bass (when its plugged into my amp), like he tuning keys or volume knobs or strings, I hear a pop, like static electricity or something. Its not my amp....I have a rental amp right now and it still does it just like it does with my other amp....could it be my patch cord?(I only have one right now so I can't test it.)

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to Setup.

Will C.:cool:

3. Suggestion:

Make sure your amp is plugged into a properly grounded plug.

Aside from that, I'd try a different patch cord. It's cheap insurance, and if the one you have turns out to be fine, then you have an extra patch, which is ALWAYS good.

FF

4. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I posted a thread EXACTLY like this in AMPS becuz I thought it was my "Beaster" amp, but It turns out its my Single coil pickup, go gheck out the AMPS theads......

Good cords wont hurt...

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    could be the ground wire in youre bass as well! Pull the output off your bass and see if there is a loose wire!

6. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    well its not my patch cord, my guitar AND bass still do it, Ive tried it at different plugs in the house, ive tried in a different house. I mean my guitar is doing it and then I hook up my cousins guitar to the same amp and it doesnt. its jut MY guitar and bass,my guitar never did it untill i got my bass.

btw it goes away when i turn the tone all the way down on my bass, but then i dont get the right tone

7. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    more info - its not a buzzing noise, this bass almost never buzzes, Its a POP whenever i touch the tuning keys or the strings or volume knobs. It does it on my guitar too.

8. This completely sounds like a ground problem to me. I would do as an above poster suggested and check the grounds in both your guitar and bass.

Side note: Was Billy Bishop a WWI Flying Ace?

FF

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    This one is a head scratcher. My first thought is a grounding problem too.

Billy, does the rig pop only once when you touch it? if you touch it repeatedly, does it pop each time you touch it?

Are you in a low humidity room with carpet on the floor? There is a remote chance that you are getting a static electricity arc.

With the bass hanging by the strap and both hands off the bass, touch the nut on the amp input jack. While touching the amp touch the bass with your other hand. Does it still pop?

The only thing that keeps nagging me is the fact that touching the control knobs causes the pop. The knobs are usually insulated from the pot shaft so if touching a metal part of the bass produces the same results as touching a non conducting part of the bass, it starts getting eerie.

Do you have metal knobs on the controls?

Pkr2

10. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    "Billy, does the rig pop only once when you touch it? if you touch it repeatedly, does it pop each time you touch it?"

Yes and Yes

"Are you in a low humidity room with carpet on the floor? There is a remote chance that you are getting a static electricity arc. "

I've tried it at friends places and on different amps and it still does it, but no, I'm not in a low humidity room.

"With the bass hanging by the strap and both hands off the bass, touch the nut on the amp input jack. While touching the amp touch the bass with your other hand. Does it still pop?"

No it doesn't pop then.

" Do you have metal knobs on the controls? "

Yes

"The only thing that keeps nagging me is the fact that touching the control knobs causes the pop. The knobs are usually insulated from the pot shaft so if touching a metal part of the bass produces the same results as touching a non conducting part of the bass, it starts getting eerie. "

Do Do do do do do do do (freaky Twilight zone theme)

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey it could be very easy! Are you in a older house without a ground plug? Does the plug in have 3 holes or just 2? You might look and see if the ground plug is there or not!

12. As I always say, the hot and neutral wire on your outlets are swapped. Could be wrong, though.

Here's one thing, my old amps with 2 prong plugs are all noiseless when the polarity switch is set right. The 3rd prong is there to keep you from getting electrocuted, not for noise reasons.

On older amps, there is a polarity switch. If you get the "pop" when touching your strings, then you flip the Polarity switch, and it goes away. On modern amps, the Polarity switch doesn't always exist because they assume the outlet will be wired right.

Similar problem here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=13341

Chris

13. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The process of elimenation doesn't allow many options. It can't be in the house wiring because it does it away from home too.

It can't be the amp because the rental amp and the original amp both pop.

It can't be the cord because it's been subbed and the prob was still there.

As unlikely as it seems, everything indicates a ground problem in both your bass and your guitar. The only substitution that cleared the prob was the instrument.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showt...?threadid=13341

Check this thread for a couple of hints.

======
    "Billy, does the rig pop only once when you touch it? if you touch it repeatedly, does it pop each time you touch it?"

Yes and Yes
    =======
    My question about touching the amp must not have been clear. The reason for touching the amp before touching the bass was to drain away any static charge that may be present. Let me ask another way. If you tap your finger up and down on the volume control rapidly, do you get a series of pops?

14. I hate "pop" music.

15. BassDude24

BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    First I would say move your amp to another plug in the wall, and it that does not work, then try another plug, and if that doesn't work, then try another patch chord.

16. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    My friend was just over and HIS guitar is doing it to, it did it on his amp and on mine. Could it be my house is infecting guitars and basses with the evil popping disease or something? He said his guitar never did that before.

17. Process of elimination again........

--Your friends amp and guitar don't make the popping sound anywhere else.

--They do make the sound when plugged into your house wiring, and so does your gear.

My gut says something about the location is screwy. Do you live near a power sub-station or hi-tension lines? Maybe your house wiring is screwed up(hot-neutral swapped, ground screwy)? Maybe your incoming power is noisy because it's on the same circuit as motors or equipment or computers? Have you got fluorescent lights nearby?

Just trying to figure it out. You've got to take your gear to your friends house where his gear doesn't make the sounds, and try yours in that same location to rule out your gear as a whole, or figure out what part of yours is screwy. Take your cords and all - everything between the outlet and your bass.

Chris