Could Munji be right about Eden.........?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BIg O, May 9, 2003.

1. OK, now that I have your attention...

I picked up a slightly used excellent condition Eden 210XLT today for just under $350 US ($500 CAD these days). I have been happy with my SWR Goliath III 4x10. I AB'd it with the Eden 2X10 in rehearsal today with my SWR 350 head.

:D I was blown away by the punch the Eden delivered, although at 4 vs 8 ohms for the SWR, it had the advantage of each of the drivers pushing more air. The bottom end response was great! I'm keeping the SWR for now, but I am now on the prowl for a used Eden 15 to give me full flexibility in my cab setup.

I sure hope that David Nordschow keeps involved at the "new" Eden!

Anyone else been converted (or semi-converted) from SWR to Eden?
  2. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm not sure

last month I played the "new" 410XLT through a
    wt-400 and it sounded great for rock (with a G&L L2000 and my geddy sig) but my ears were telling me something was missing. I'm not sure if it was the wooly sound of the eden head or not?
    it sounded like my bass (geddy sig) didn't have no life.

last week then I played through an SWR goliath senior. awww! I was playing through the workingmans 8004. This hit the spot just right and it wasn't the bass (I was using a squire jazz). Full of life.

However I may very well be purchasing an eden cab soon (not the 410XLT maybe the 210T).
  3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The 210XLT is a great cab, but Eden's 15 is not. You might consider getting another 210XLT instead.
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I agree with this also, I have two Eden 210T's and I stand them vertical, Tone is killer, Great projection. I had a 115T and I got rid of it, The tone just was not there with the 210X115 combo.

Just one mans opinion though, go with what your ears tell ya, but try them out together before you make the decision.
  5. Thanks for the feedback on the 15, guys.

Another option I am thinking of would be a D212XLT, anyone have experience with them?

Any other 2x12's that deliver good low fundamentals without losing punch, and have the comnparable tone to the EDEN?
  6. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Don't even touch that cab! I mean...not that it's that bad, but 4 different people all told me that their had problems with E string and was sounding bad. I might be wrong, but I think I'm not.
    I would buy Aguilar if I would go for 2x12".:)
  7. Hmmm…..

I predict that Munji will reply in 10 posts (or less) after this one….

8. lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I have a Metro and recently bought a 210XLT to go with it. I tried both the 115XLT and the 212XLT. Both of these cabs did not impress me. Eden's cabinets loaded with 10" drivers are the best in their product line, imo.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Extremely unlikely! ;)
  10. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I went through the same decision-making process a couple of years ago. I already had one 2-10XLT and was considering either buying another 2-10XLT cab or a 1-15XLT. After posting the matter on TB and receiving a mixed bag from the opinions of experienced Eden cab owners, I decided on two 2-10XLTs. I've been very happy with them. You can get a lot of low end from the two cabs if desired.
  11. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Big O, I would try the Berg 2-12. I love mine and IMO smoke the Aggie 2-12 and the Eden 2-12 hands down.
  12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Don't forget to try the new Eden XST models. Killer.

Though I'm an Aguilar user as well as an Eden fan, I think the 15's from both companies are their weak spot. I have an Aggie 15 that I couple with my 4x10 for larger stages, and though it sounds good, its not one of the better 15's available. Same with the Eden 15 I tried. They're "allright" as an add-on cab, but if I was a lover of the sole-15 sound, I'd definitely look elsewhere. (Forgive, me, Eden and Aguilar!!!)

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I am completely converted back to Eden! I have been playing with my SWR SM900, and it just never sounds right. So I am back to the Eden WT500!
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I don't know how the volume on the 350 is marked, but for testing in situations like this you can just turn the volume knob down a tad (3dB) for the 4-ohm cab.

Since it's hard to get the volume to match, and the mind does funny things when comparing two sounds of different volume, a good idea is to A/B them at obviously different volumes: compare them when A is noticeably louder than B (not a LOT, just enough so you can safely say "yes that's louder"), and vice-versa. Keep only the differences that remain consistent between both trials.
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ....say it ain't so!!!

16. Many posts so far, and still - no Munji!?

Anyway, gigged tonight with the Eden 210XLT instead of my Goliath III 4x10. Very happy!:D

Even got comments from some of our regular fans - I didn't think they even knew who was playing what! ( Actually, they probably didn't ). Maybe a second same model cab is what would fill the bill, as promoted by other posters.

But I still have a nagging feeling (maybe I'm just old) that a 15 will help keep the "bottom full".

****The munji bait is thrown again.....******
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, BlgO, if you check the specs you will find that if you want to get more lows, you'll be better off going with another 210 than a 115. My ears confirm what the numbers say as well - the 15 adds a bit more "boominess" than 10's, but not more lows.

Oh, and Eric's right, you should think about pairing the XLT with an XST - the XST is scary.

18. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I ran a D-210XLT and a D-115 with my WT400 and it just killed. Perfect combo with that head.Now I'm using a WT500 and I picked up a D-410XST and that is "THE CAB" so I sold my 210. Now the 115 is my practice rig. Altough I going to use the WT500/410XST setup along with the WT400/115 setup for some outdoor gigs we have coming up.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I used to run a pair of D210XLTs and they worked well, to my ear much better than running the 210 with a 15. I've since replaced them.
  20. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Back when I owned Eden gear, my favorite rig was a WT400 with D210XLT and D115XL. Nice balance. Not exactly an "accurate" sound but a very warm and usable rig in most rooms.