Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could my bass be posing a prob?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tronictq, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Well, I've tried slapping various times, and well... there's a couple of different ways of doing it. I can do it one way, hit the string with my thumb perpendicular to it closer to the bridge. BUt however hard i try, i can't get a single noise out of the bass other hten mMAJDHH<> and KAWHEKJAWHK, oh and HAKJHWEJKHA when I try a simple slap how all the professional slappers do it. And i've seen many, and i've read many. Could my bass have something to do with my problem?

Thanx
    -Tronict

2. Hmmm... that almost sounds Native Indian. Your bass is First Nations perhaps? :)

Have you tried slapping closer to the neck?

There have been a few threads covering technique. Try http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=14449

3. what kind of bass?

4. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    An Epiphone gig kit Lol. I don't htink it's 1st nations. it's basically a starter bass. But i love bass, and i have big goals. Gonna get a better one soon.

4 string Epiphone, yah. The tone control doesn't even work ( there's a possibility it's not connected )

Thx guys.

5. I would invest in a new bass. That Epipone WILL NOT cut it for a slap bassist. The problem with it not making a noise. The only thing I can say is to remember to bounce your thumb off the string.

6. duff_hodges

duff_hodges

May 15, 2000
    Suffolk, UK
    Try using a decent set of new strings. A common problem is that strings go dead after a while so sound quality deteriates. When I put on some new Rotosound strings I was completley amazed by the difference.

7. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    to get a good, funkin' slap sound out of your bass, you really need one that has a bridge pickup, as it picks up the sounds of your strings where they are at their sharpest. i'd say good tone is all about your fingers, but in the case of slapping, equipment comes first. just a few of my cents. i miss them now :(

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Slap tone is still mostly from the hands, NOT the gear.

9. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

well tone will make a difference, also the way you slap will make a difference also, dont try to kill the strings ! hit with the ball of the first joint of your thumb. try easy hits until you get the feel of where to hit, round wound strings {lights 40 or 45} work the best, try that and see if it helps,

10. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    One thing that wasn't suggested was a good setup - straight neck and moderately low strings. Since the "sound" comes from bouncing the strings off of the frets, if the strings are too high, you won't be able to do it.

11. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be sure to try them

-Tronict

12. hmmmmmm i have a really crap bass too, but i just got new d'addario stringz and it sounds a bit better now. anyways, maybe you get weird noise when your slapping cause your hitting more than one string at a time? you probably know this but you have to mute the other strings before slapping so you only get one string, not all 4 (or 5 or 6).

13. ChrisRae

ChrisRae

Jan 25, 2001
    North Wales, UK
    Hey Tronictq,

I completely agree with Bassvirtuoso13!
    I have owned an Epiphone EBM5 for about 10 years. I have worked hard, take lessons with an excellent teacher etc etc. Whilst the bass makes a noise when slapped, so did I when I was a child..... it is not a good sound though :(
    I have waited ages to get a decent bass and finally am getting a high end Warwick (I hope I can handle it when it comes). Definately consider changing if you want to use your thumb more.

Simply put, try and get some technique going, but don't worry too much if it sounds pants, there ain't much you can do about it :(

It seems ok (ish) for fingerstyle though :)

Good luck...

14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Here is some ideas! Ive played funk slap bass for 20 years nwo and i been teachin classes in funk jazz bass for about a year now let me tell you what my first problems with students are!1 I cant say its your bass but some basses are not good for slapping! To start a student out for this (keep in mind my students generally have played bass for a few years) I like to set there basses low for them and some basses you cannot do this with frett buzzing and stuff like that! Get smaller gauge strings. And play with slapping in diff areas around your pickup! Dont try cool stuff first man! Just work with octaves! Hit a then octive hit a with thumb and pop with finger with the octave! Move up and down the neck playing diff octaves! When you first start your not going to sound like flea! He has been doing that for years! Go to a music store and try diff basses! I like to tell people to do this because each bass will have a diff setup and you might find a setup you like! When you do set yours like it and see how it goes!

15. Tronictq

Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    Thank you all for your thoughts, ideas and concerns.

-Tronictq