1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Could my cord be ruining my input jack?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by grooveguru, Aug 23, 2007.

1. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Could my cord be ruining my input jack? This is the second or third high end bass where my jack cuts in and out. I use Planet Wave cables when not going wireless? Can the jack be fixed or should I replace it along with my cables?

2. I never had a cord ruin an input jack,. There really isnt much to a input jack. If the wireless unit works fine, I doubt its the jack. Either way get another cable and see if the problem goes away. Could be that the jack is not making contact with the cord. If you can take alook at the control cavity. you can see if the cord is making contact. If you can solder, you can replace the jack for about $5.00.

3. With three strikes against (I assume) the same Planet Waves cable I wouldn't be blaming the jack sockets!

Connector size tolerance is a bigger problem than you might think. I'd suggest you try a new cable, preferably not the same type as the one you already have.

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Not sure about the planet waves cables, but I heard at the local music shop that monster cables are slightly larger than standard input jacks and will gradually stretch the connection until it's spotty. So I think it's definitely possible, I'd try another brand of cable.

5. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Are those the Planet Waves cables with the little latching fins? I've wondered the same thing since it takes an inordinate amount of force to pull the cord from the jack. It feels like you are ripping out the bass's guts. I suspect one of these cables mave have done the same to one of my basses once, but then I question how they can keep selling the things (or even how they got on the market) if they really are so detrimental.

6. yep. i swore i would never use planet waves cables again after they destroyed 3 input jacks on two different basses within a few months. and these were the "recessed" jacks.. those enclosed ones. much more expensive to replace than the standard jazz bass style jack!

if you're interested, i sent a complaint to planet waves and they denied that their cables were dimensionally any different to a standard cable, which i personally believe is complete bollocks.

all the best,
    andy.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I think you can take the "fins" off of the cable, I believe it is just a little collar. Should slide right off. If that doesn't fix it, you might try going with a better cable, like one from Bayou Cables.

8. Would'e?

Would'e?

Mar 27, 2007
    Virginia
    Here is [​IMG] the suspected culprit. I always wondered if it was the "patented compression springs" that destroyed my jack.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    ^ Yup. Try pulling the collar off and see if it helps.

10. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I heard this too about the Monster Cables from a sound guy I work with. I'm not sure if it is true.

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I forget who it was, but I read about an amp that specifically discourages use of Monster cables...might've been AI?

12. enim

enim

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicago, Illinois
    Im pretty sure its Phil Jones

13. The Stoke

The Stoke

Sep 15, 2011
    Yes... Monster cables and planet waves have both ruined a few jacks for me. There are way better cables out there for way less. Oh, and forget about that "lifetime" warranty. Never trust a salesman that works on commission.

14. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Let me guess: active basses, with barrel jacks? Those cursed things never grab a plug worth a damn, and when they inevitably loosen up, you can't just bend a tab to retighten them.

15. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    That sounds like normal use to me.....You have a loose connection on your jack. Solder needs to be touched up.

16. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    More than one tech has an issue with PW cables. The compression fitting seems like a good idea, but the added friction causes the "gold" plating to wear off, leaving its deposit on the inside of the jack. After a while the buildup interferes with a good electrical connection and the result is crackling, loss of output, etc.

Normal contact cleaner doesn't seem to help. I wrap a bit of fine (400 grit) w&d sandpaper around a drill bit and clean the inside of the jack with it. Works most of the time.

17. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Zombie thread! Output, output, output jack! LOL.

18. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Zombie indeed! But thanks for the input about the output. I'm quite put out by the output of those who put out the wrong info about the input. It's the ins and outs of the putting that's the pudding.

19. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Yes, it's quite offputting.

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Don't know about PW or monster , but I recently bought a cable that was hard as heel to remove from the OUTput jack on my bass.

Turns out it was the little black plastic insulating ring between the tip and sleeve was slightly over sized. A quick trim with a single edge razor blade and balance to the universe was once again restored.