Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could one of you Michigan bass players...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by whyusofunky, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Question: Could one of you Michigan bass players here on talkbass.com give me some advise on who has the best reputation for set-up and repair. I live just outside the Metro Detroit area and I need to find a professional who take good care of my bass, and give me some good recommendations.

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    If you don't mind driving a little bit, I'd take it to Elderly Instruments up in Lansing. They do excellent work, on everything from $50 knockoffs to pre-war Martins and Gibson prototypes. I took my L-2000 in a few months ago and now it plays better than I ever thought it could. If you call and schedule a repair they can generally fix it for you while you wait in the store.

I used to live in Metro Detroit and could never find a repair place that I liked around town, though I started going to Michigan State before I could look too thoroughly. You might want to call Low Down Sound in Ferndale and see if they do repairs or can refer you to a pro.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

3. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1 on the Elderly referral. Those guys are great. All of my instruments have come from them and they really stand behind what they sell. Definitely worth the drive.

4. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    Huber Breeze is where I usually get mine done.

cool staff, also.

5. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    2 people, mike koontz in clawson near ferndale
    orMark wettenger in rochester hills

both excellent for set up, repair re-fret, etc etc.
    Todd L

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I do my own set-ups, but I know a few guitar players that have been very happy with the work they've had done at Joe's Music...

http://www.joesmusic.com/

7. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I've heard great things about Mike Koontz. One of my friends has a bass that Mike apparently built. It was pretty sweet, if that's any indication.

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I've never really been happy with the setups I've had done at Joe's. You tell them how you want your bass set up, they set it up "the standard way bassists have it", you play it a bit and tell him how you actually want it, they go back and tweak it a bit, comes back a little better, you ask them to change it again, comes back a slight bit better, you realize your bass has been there for a week and you've been in the store for an hour and its going to take an exponential period of time until its how you want it, so you take it as "good enough" and tweak it yourself once you get home. Waste of time and money. (It did make me learn how to do a basic setup myself, however.) Perhaps they've changed in the last couple years, but that was always my experience.

Side note: they have some great guitars at Joe's and they're always in tip-top playing condition. However, most of their basses suffer from plain ol' awful playability. :rolleyes: Go figure.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Joe's may not be a good idea then. Maybe their guitar tech(s) don't have the knack for bass set-ups :confused:

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah, all my friend's bring their guitars to Mike Koontz. He's a maniac, I highly suggest him.

11. Koontz Guitar Repair on Hilton in Ferndale. 248-545-5460. REALLY nice guy, and will make sure you are 100% satisfied. And did I say he can fix ANYTHING you may have a problem with.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    +5

Also, talk to the guys at Low Down Sound in the likely event that Mike Koontz is booked solid. Don't know Mark Wettenger, but I'd guess he's also worth looking into. Koontz is like a legend around here, though.

Peace,

James

13. Well, first thing first. I'm going to give Mr. Mike Koontz a call and see how he works out for me. He seems to be highly respected in this thread. Although I will keep Low Down Sound in mind. This is amazing I've been playing bass here in the Motor City for 10 years now and just recently came across Low Down Sound through this web site. I haven't been there yet, but plan to go there soon. Thanks alot everyone for all the help! I appreciate the advise.