Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could someone do me a huge favor and....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by SkaKing27, Mar 21, 2003.

1. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    Yes,could someone do me a huge favor and tab out the piano song"Heart & Soul".I like it a lot,and would like to play it as an instrumental,but there isn't any tabs for it,and I can't read sheet music that well,thank you.have a nice day.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well,the bass part is a pretty basic I-vi-ii-V
    progression...So if you are in the Key of C just play
    C-C-A-A-D-D-G-G then repeat

as for the melody....let me see here.

G-------------------------------------7---9-9-9---9-10-9-7-----------12~~~----10-9-7-
    D----10-10-10---10-9-7-9-10-------------------------------10-9-----------10------------10-9---10
    A
    E

something like that anyway...this should be in tablature me thinks

3. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    tab out the basic C-C-A-A-D-D-G-G ,thanks

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    G
    D
    A-----3-3---------5-5
    E------------5-5-----------3-3

that's one way you can play it...

5. "Everyone says you're the guy, but I wanna be the guy too!"

G
    D-----------------0-0---------
    A------------0-0-----
    E-----8-8------------------3-3

Yay! Though Robot's is a lot easier to play, I just wanted to throw in one of the many alternatives.

Now we can officially move this to the tab forum, right?

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    this progression is VERY common in jazz...and one of the things you can do to it to spice it up a little bit is

G
    D
    A----3------4--5-------2
    E------6-5--------4-3---

and repeat....it is a very simple walking line that is used quite often as the fundamental for more complex lines.

specifically though..."heart and soul" moves in thirds for the bassline that would look something like this
    G
    D-------2-2-------------------3-3-------
    A---3-3----------3-3----5-5-----------2-2
    E-------------5-5------------------3-3---

7. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Though that first tab makes little sense, from what WR says and his second tab, he's very right.

That's one of the more common progressions in jazz (older big band type stuff esp.) and a lot can be done with it. For that song, he's right about the thirds, though you can make turnarounds and such more interesting. That progression in general is limitless as far as a bassline is concerned.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well...the specific song "heart and soul" as recorded....uses the thirds for the I-vi-ii-V-I....but definitely there is a LOT of room to move around in.