Could Someone Explain This Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 23, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I just don't get this used $1700 Warr bass at all;

- As you can see, the strings don't go from lowest/thickest to highest/thinnest
    - The pickups appear to be 1 & 1/2 P-bass pups (half of the strings get twice the signal of the other strings?)
    - It appears to be a right-handed bass yet the controls are located like those on a lefty (it's not advertised as a left-handed bass, either)
    - The bridge looks like it's practically mounted on the fretboard

If you can make sense of this design, I'd sure like to know what's going on :confused:

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Reminds me of a Chapmans (sp?) Stick. I don't think it's meant to be played like a traditional bass or guitar but a combination of both. I'm assuming it's played by tapping particular chords/notes & each side goes to a different amp.
  3. I think its for tapping , like a Stick.

BTW - How exactly is the bridge mounted on the fretboard?
  4. rickbass

I mean, I just don't get why the bridge is mounted so close to the neck and there's all that unused body space behind the bridge.

Maybe it's because you guys are right on target - scale length isn't important because this may be a "tapped" instrument. I don't know squat about Warrs.
  5. CS

Dec 11, 1999

They are tapping jobbies. Someone here has one-I think it's Dave Grossman.
  6. rickbass

Chris - In case you know: So does that infer that they are held upright like a Chapman and that;

- having the controls mounted closest to the player makes ergonomic sense?
    - that the seemingly unbalanced pup configuration works for the way this instrument is used?

Thanks! This is starting to make a little more sense to me now. I was looking at it from the viewpoint of a conventional bassist.
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like the colorations and body shape.

But I never heard of a tapper before.
  8. rickbass

9. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Re: tuning. Standard Chapman config is fifths on the bass strings, thickest in the middle of the fretboard and ascending going to the right; fourths on the melody strings, thickest in the middle and ascending going to the left.
  10. yep. its a STICK, basically...

goto CHAPMAN WEB SITE to get an idea how this sort of thing is used....

something similar...

11. rickbass

Oh yeah, I've seen Tony Levin and the Chapman. I just didn't know Warr was into it, too.
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    You are welcome

You can see products prices and some bloke playing one here
  13. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    This one is a prototype of the 12-string Warr, the second prototype I believe that Trey helped Mark Warr design.

The body and strap locations are placed so that it balances in whatever angle you place the neck, up for tapping / down for strumming. I think the bridge placement has to do with initial attempts to get this idea working. Funny note that the final "Artist" model had the bridge near the edge of the body, but the newer Trey Gunn Signature Series has more body on the other side of the bridge again.

The strings on this one are: 7 melody strings, normal (high to low), 5 bass strings inverted (low to high, or high strings on the outside).

Typically the melody strings are played with the right hand, and the bass strings with the left hand. On the Stick, most commonly the bass strings are inverted but tuned in 5ths so intervals retain their shape (though they are inverted in pitch) - and the strings are mirrored since the hands are too. The 12-string Warr Artist model follows this design.

The pickup arrangement is one bass and two treble pickups. I think all the models after this one had two of each. Hmm. . .maybe the third prototype was still this way though, my friend Walter used to have it so I could ask him.

Because of the way the instrument hangs and is played, you can put the controls on the upper body half (where they are easier to access) and they don't get in the way.
  14. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Im seriously considering building one of these...

Hey Dave, What's the string spacing on them? Are you using Jim Wright's tuning on your 12? Whats the fingerboard size? Where can I get strings?
  15. You're confused because that's not a bass. Basses have four strings on them. :p
  16. rickbass

Did you hear that from Turner???