Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could someone explain what machine-gun-triplets are?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Dec 28, 2003.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I've been wondering what the heck these are, I searched the forum but got nothing. (Or just simply didn't understand.:meh: :D )

2. Steve Harris, Iron Maiden, "The Trooper."

3. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Thanks for the song recommendation Peter (Iron Maiden rocks). Now, could you tell me how they're actually performed?

4. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

something like this??

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You can view a video of Entwistle and see what craziness is going on with his fingers...which will include machine gun triplets.

BUT - here's a lowdown from my perspective - I got the Alex Slarevski video, "The Slap Bass Program" and studied how do pull off the machine gun triplets he demonstrated.

But, you know what??? In the "real world" of playing bass in a working band and locking a groove with a drummer, all that time learning that show-off stuff was wasted!!!

Fr'instance, I saw an old SNL video of Alanis Morrisette the other night and her bassist just knocked me out!!!! He just played such perfect notes in such perfect timing at the "right" times!!! But to people who don't get into the music, I guess it looked he wasn't doing much at all. :rolleyes:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Rick-
    I may have seen that epi.
    Was her band comprised of TWO guitarists, a bassist + a drummer?
    If so, then yes...that ROCKED!

I was really impressed with how the 2 guitarists worked off of each other & how they didn't step all over the bass + drums.

I wonder if that performance is that "Best Of SNL Music" DVD(s)?

7. rickbass

I think you're dead on, Jim. The song was "Hand in My Pocket".

I feel bad because I don't even know how to find out who the bassist was. I feel even worse because every note this cat chose and the way he touched his strings was just so friggin RIGHT!!! that it was one of those moments when you see a gifted bassist and think - "What the hell do I have to offer after that ???"

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Might it be Chris Chaney? I know he used to play for Alanis, but not sure if he still is.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Triplets?

10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Good call - "The Trooper" rhythm (like most of Maiden's stuff) is two 16ths followed by an 8th.

11. rickbass

Thanks, thrash....Chaney would seem to be the obvious answer since he had a stint on Morisette's tour.
    But this bassist, who was so excrutiatingly good in his note choice and technique. was kind of a slobby brunnette with a very bad hair style.

12. Dave Lee Roth's "elephant gun" has a fast triplet bassline in the verse (Billy Sheehan, using 3 fingers).

also IIRC Iron Maiden's "Alexander the great" has a triplet bassline under the middle guitar solo section.
    - and Iron maiden's "phantom of the opera".

13. Jane's Addiction's Eric Avery replaced Chaney in Morrisette's band (and Chaney replaced Avery in Jane's Addiction)- was it him?

although i didn't think much of the original recorded line for "One hand in my pocket"- a bit "sessionplayer-by-numbers" for my liking:meh:

14. rickbass

Mock - That's an excellent guess. Avery could have been the guy - sorta fat, slobby, and with a really, really, bad hair style.
    But, OH, what he did with the bass.

Plus, as you probably already know, we old-timers in the US practically erect churches in honor of English bassists.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The SNL thing was not Chaney.
    ...and Mock The Hoople-
    I agree; the studio recording was pretty sterile.
    The SNL performance ROCKED!

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, that's three notes...right?
    ;)

I may have mentioned this before...anyway-
    A few years back, I'm arguing with a pianist/high school music teacher over a triplet in a particular piece of music.
    She keeps on & on about "...it's only two notes".
    Uh, maybe the first note of the 3 is a rest?
    Geez.

17. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I was watching a live Top Of The Pops iron Maiden performance of Run To The Hills, with the same galloping bassline. I was very surprised to see how light Steve's touch is, barely tickling the strings. He also held his right hand so his fingers were almost parallel to the body. Whereas I tend to arch my hand over and dig in much more.

Maybe that's the answer to playing fast metal every night of the week for 25 years!