Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could someone help me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornerkeeper, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Cornerkeeper

Cornerkeeper

Aug 18, 2001
    My no name bass that I bought used off of my friend has some weird crappy electical problems. Now, I have a very, VERY limited budget, so my options are:

1: get no name repaired. Not sure how much it would cost. Problem is that when I plug it into my amp, it just buzzes. I tried to use my electical tuner, and it says it's playing B sharp, even when I'm not playing anything.

2: Buy the Rouge SX 100B bass for 80 bucks. I'm not sure of the quality, so if any of you could help me with that, I'd be greatful.

Thanks for your time.

2. If you know how to use a soldering iron you can probably save yourself the $80 (I am not a fan of rogues when you can get a squier for around $100.. that is another story...)

I can think of a couple of things that may be wrong.. Although with no idea what kind of bass you have this is going to have to be very vague.. Is it a fender copy? etc would be usefull.. but for starters:

1) If you open up the control cavity there should be a wire running between every control pot and the jack and from the jack there should be a wire going into the body of the bass and ending up under the bridge.. if you give that wire from the jack to the bridge a slight tug and it doesn't come out, then you should be ok and grounded to the bridge, if you don't see any of those wires that is where that humming is comming from because the electronics are not grounded.

2) Your jack may be really screw. Make sure that when you stick in a cable that it makes solid contact with the jack.

3) When your trying to tune your bass with an electronic tuner, make sure your "TONE" knob is turned all the way down, and try setting it to manual mode and tell it you are looking for E, then A, then D, and G instead of having it try to recognize the notes iteself.. my tuner sometimes does that too, recognize notes taht I am not playing :) Ghost in the machine :)

Here, I'll post a pic of what the wiring should look like on your bass.. I am assuming it is some kind of a fender copy, if I am wrong, let me know. I am using my J-Bass as an example, but that is bassicly what you should be looking at..

If you have NO idea what I am talking about :) which I find common amongst people (No one understand me :confused: ) see about taking it into a local guitar shop and let them look at it.. I just like doing it myself I guess :rolleyes:

3. Cornerkeeper

Cornerkeeper

Aug 18, 2001
    On the subject of the new bass, yeah, I just looked an I can get a Squire for about 100, and that's cool.

I know how to use a soldering iron, just no one around here has one. I opened it up, and all the wires I could see were attached, but I'm going to give it a closer look today, because I was rushed. Thanks for the help.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If you can fix it yourself then you save the money. If you have to take it to someone else, ask if you can watch them fix it.

Can you give more info on that copy bass. Some people here might siggest that you just replace it with a squier or something anyway.

5. Cornerkeeper

Cornerkeeper

Aug 18, 2001
    It's a Hondo Deluxe Series 870.

I'm taking it to get repaired tomorrow, probably.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've seen a bass with a bad pot act like this. If that's the problem, should be pretty cheap to fix.