could someone please take a listen to my first solo Bass piece?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mirror Messiah, Aug 21, 2009.

1. hi, i'm new here and i just wanted to share my solo bass piece. i would be very grateful of any constructive critisism, and basically i would be glad is someone didn't just say 'ooh your'e tapping that's so cool' but gave me some comments or advice on the musical piece.

thanks for watching!

2. Way better than anything ive written. Try maybe throwing in some octaves on the A or E string I think that would really fill out the overall sound of the peice. Also maybe cut out a little or the treble(unless thats just how it sounds from the camera). Over all though I Like it 8/10.:)

3. thanks! it wasn't so much the treble, it was the tone knob ^^ i like the combination my tone knob on about 3/4 and a whole load of reverb, gives a really clear, trebleish sound. really great for solo stuff, but sucking in a band context tbf. and i think if i did some octaves under it, it would probably kill my finers lmfao

4. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Dude, that's really beautiful. Keep up the good work. Oh, and you're tapping is sooooooooooooooo cool. Good job!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nice job...I would offer two comments, though...first off is you could work on your timing a little in the beginning. I'm not getting a solid 4-count from you. Second thing I'd say is your tapping is good save for an occasional weak note. I would work on getting a more solid note every time you tap. Other than that, I thought it was pretty cool.

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Interesting piece - thanks for sharing it. Some nice melodic aspects in there.

Like Jimmy said, pay reasonably close attention to tempo as when you're soloing or it can be hard for listeners to make musical "sense" of where you're going. Intentional tempo changes (for example, to lead from one section into another) are usually fine and easily followed. But in general if you stick to a tempo it does help your listeners get a feel for the music.

I'm not normally that much into solo bass stuff, but I enjoyed watching this. Keep at it!

7. thanks everyone! i got about the same comments from my teacher about my timing, and basicaly my timing and rhythm is my weakest point anyway :]
    i'm basically starting to rehearse with a backing track or metronome now to work on my timing, and trying some more groovy and melodic basslines to work on it.

thanks for al the positiveness 'n stuff :3

8. just a quick note for those with criticism : don't be all to harsh, i've only been playing the bass for about 15 months.

9. Nobody has been harsh. You asked for comments and they have been largely positive with a couple of suggestions for improvement.

Good work.

10. thanks! and, i was just sayin' ;)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021