Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Could someone tell me what I'm playing?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Hey guys, I was upstairs playing, and I just started playing this arpeggio, from highest pitched to lowest, the notes are F, C#, F. Does anyone know if that has a name?

2. D flat major arpeggio in first inversion with no 5th maybe? could be a lot of things....

3. Anyways, thanks for taking the time!

4. F-Db. Minor sixth interval.

5. .....WOW Eddie you are so smart! How long have you been playing bass?

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Not to interrupt or anything, but I believe the answer to that would be, "longer than you've BEEN." Kinda scary, huh?

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Dammit, Ed! Don't leave us hanging! Post the freakin' article!

Man, you go on about how this article changed your life and you don't want us to change ours?!?

8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Yo Ed, waz-up wit dat! Where's the article, yo!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Mr. ED(umacation)-
    F-Ab-C#(Db)-F = Dbmaj or Fmin?
    1-b3-#5/b6? ;)

Anyway, I like the chords you have listed above to possibly play with Pasty's F-C#-F thingee. The big thing(at least, to me)is how to voice those chords, especially on a guitar, so the bass note(F#) doesn't collide with a guitarist playing some ROOT position Barre-style chord.
    ...unless, of course, that is the desired effect! ;)

10. That article is too long! Is it on a tape...or movie...or somethin'? :)

11. Hey Paste there is lots of great info on TB and also everyone has given great info just in this thread but you may want to spend a little cash on a book that deals with a lot of your questions.

Even a ten-dollar Mel Bay Bass book will answer a lot of the structure questions you are asking.

I am sure every one has a favorite book and I do but because I am moving I can't give you an exact title or author.

Darn non-transparent boxes.

:D

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Holy Life-Story Batman! ;)

The trombone player in the Latin band I play in just got a baritone horn from somebody in the US via ebay! He's really loving it!

I think it's my fault as we used to talk about bassclef stuff as he had played bass trombone for 20 years on the same instrument and when I joined the band I seemed to him to be changing bass every few weeks!

So now he has - apart from his bass trombone - a regular trombone, baritone horn and a euphonium! I think I gave him G.A.S. !! ;)

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Ed-
    Yeah, I got the Dbmaj in 1st inversion part...NOW I see the Fmin6(finally).
    Keys? Never use 'em! ;)